Goodwins seen on deck?

Dec 6, 2000
Samuel,

There was no Tyler couple. Carol's post referred to the "Goodwin/Tyler couple". That is two people: Frederick Joseph Goodwin and Augusta Tyler united in marriage. Look at the Marriage Certificate. - Mr Goodwin & Miss Tyler [the Goodwin/Tyler couple] became Mr & Mrs Goodwin.

Carol Goroff

Jan 2, 2005
Many thanks, Brian--
You did, indeed, provided many interesting details and helped answer long standing questions! As you can tell from your various reviews, there still are discrepancies. My husband & I have been to the Fulham and Niagara Falls archives. We found surprising little information stored there. The photograph in Lord's book is the only known photograph and the NF collection had that stored in someone else's file.

A folk singing group in Melcham have written and recorded a song dedicated to the Goodwins "Bound for the Promised Land". It is very well done!

Regards, Carol

John Paul

Jun 1, 2009
My theory is that the Goodwins never made it on deck. Nobody knows their activities aboard Titanic except that the Goodwin females' cabin were separated from the Goodwin males' cabin.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
How was Sidney Goodwin's body recovered then? Being a family, they would have been sectioned in the same area of the Titanic - the stern. The bow was for single males, the stern for females and families.

Jul 26, 2009
Paul Lee, I'm changing my theory. Yes, maybe the Goodwins made it on deck. Maybe they didn't reach any lifeboat or they probably entered Collapsible A but they were washed away because of the water(at least some passengers managed to get to that collapsible). But if they were seen on the deck while the boats were being loaded, why didn't they enter the lifeboat?

It's really sad.

Nov 3, 2011
With Sidney's body recovered they Goodwins more than likely made it to the Boat Deck, but it was far too late for them. Every time I hear about this family, their story tears at my heart because it's so upsetting to hear about.

Liam webster

Feb 14, 2013
Of course there is every possibility they never made it as high up as Boat Deck but ended up on the aft forecastle deck or the poop deck right before the final plunge. Really sad to think about.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I am not sure if there is any report that anyone from the Goodwin family reached the boat deck. Fred Goodwin had a wife and 5 children and the boys were quite young. Therefore, if he was in a position to help anyone into lifeboats, I am sure that Fred Goodwin would have attended to his family first. The fact that none of them survived suggests that they either never reached tie boat deck or were part of that 'rush' that was seen in the last few minutes. By then it was too late for anyone to help someone else, or themselves for that matter.