GOTAExhibition London Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Okal doke - on the understanding that I couldn't organise a chook raffle in a country pub, and I'm happy to have anyone else do this, let's get this organisational show on the road.

A show of hands, either by hear or by email, for those who are happy with one or the other of the following dates:

17, 18, 24, 25 or 31 May.

Boz has already indicated some difficulties with a couple of these, so if I were to say the 24th May how would folks feel? (Boz, if that's still a problem, I'm sure the London brigade would be happy to meet you on a later date).

We could do the obligatory Texas Embassy dinner afterwards. Or even strike out and show some initiative and pick another venue. So on with the Chook Raffle - er - show.

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
31st would be great Ing- when I get paid! (No £ at the moment!
sad.gif
)

Shane

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
So if I'm hearing/hereing (
evil.gif
I do know the difference...sometimes!) you lot correctly, the 31st looks like the best option? I know what you mean, Shane - it's payday for me as well!

Only problem I can anticipate is that I could be starting a new job soon and I'll have to ask them for time off as soon as I've started working for them. I would opt for 24 May if at all poss.

Thanks Inger, give me a call if there's anything you want to discuss.

Stuart

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Right, here's the word:

This Saturday, 24 May we're meeting at Charing X station at 11.00 and going from there to GOTA and the Expedition. All are welcome.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
I'd really love to come along...

...but I have been forced instead to attend the CenterParcs Sherwood Forest Holiday Village. Upon making enquiries of my wife about the possibility of "dipping out" for a day or so to visit GOTA and the exhibition, I was informed (quite abruptly, I thought) that my family expect me to stay with them for the duration of our holiday. Spoilsports!

Maybe next time...?

Regards,
Paul.

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
Hey guys

Sorry to be a pain, but any chance of it being shifted to the 31st? (Payday!) Just I'm really short of £
sad.gif
(Too many b'days this month!)
Is the 31st any better for you Paul? it would be nice to meet you properly! ( I think I briefly said hello to you at BTS convention but can't remember! Too many faces not enough time!!!)

Shane

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Ack. No...this is the only weekend day that Jemma's not working, and things are getting hectic for her as she prepares for her Summer overseas sabbatical. However, I've spoken to Stuart, and he's proposed coming down a couple of weeks from now. I'm not adverse to doing GOTA twice, so perhaps two outings are in order.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Sounds good, Inger.

I won't be able to make the w'ends commencing Saturday 31st or 7th. Any time from the 14th June onwards should be okay. How does the 14th look for GOTA II?

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I think the 14th was the date that Stuart and I tentatively discussed...if you blokes want to arrange it and let me know, I'll be up for seeing GOTA again (if not the exhibition) and maybe the Texas Embassy afterwards?

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
sounds good!
it's a shame we can't all go for the 24th. If I can't make it for the 24th, I'll definitely be there for the 2nd show! Look forward to seeing all of you again!

Shane

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Stuart - Jemma wasn't too well on Saturday, so Ben and I went down to console the invalid. The two of us went into the exhibition and GOTA yesterday and had a great time. Wound up on a mini-pub crawl.

I must admit I'm distinctly underwhelmed by the exhibition - suspect having Bill Sauder along to give the sort of informed commentary he did for many of these items at the BTS convention would have improved it. Crowds didn't help much, but I found it so fragmented. I certainly didn't experience that extraordinary emotional breakthrough that people talk about when they see these salvaged items.

GOTA was superb - even taking into account the Paxton narration (I suppose we needed somesort of 'everyman' access point into the events depicted). I enjoyed so much about it - from seeing that extraordinary footage of the ship as it is, through to the 'ghostly' glimpses, and up to effects such as the three-dimensional feel given to familiar black and white images. Swirling through rooms via computer simulations, and the barrage of human images as the ship went down.

Will be up for seeing it again in a couple of weeks.

Mar 20, 2000
>>the barrage of human images as the ship went down<<

Ing, that was a real lump in the throat moment for me. Very moving.

Glad you and Ben got to see it finally!

Hi all,

I'm going to try and make it to London one weekend in June. Just to ask, Boz, Shane et. al. in Sassanach land when would be good for you to meet up again. Ing and Jemma say they would be up for going again. I'm thinking about the weekend of 14/15 June or the week following, 21/22 June.

When's good for you guys?

Stuart

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Randy - yah...we were mesmerised into silence, although there were a few eloquent elbowings at certain moments, and bubbling over commentary when we got out. There were even sufficient rattail fish to keep me a happy vegemite.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Stuart (et al).

Just got back from my hols - think I need a break to recover, but that's another story... The 14th would be ideal for me, 'though I could also make the 21st as well - happy to go with the flow.

Paul.

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
14th would be great guys.
There is a little old lady who wants to come with us from wales, so i have to let her know. She is a member of the BTS and came to this years convention. Lovely woman, but it's hard to get a word in when speaking to her! (warning!)

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.