Grace Scott Bowen

Tom Waithe

Apr 12, 2009
Ok this is a really long shot but would anyone have any further information on Miss Grace Scott
Bowen, esp her place of birth. I have a possible genealogy connection. thanks

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hey Tom,
Grace Bowen was born in 1867 in Cooperstown, New York and was a life-long resident of that city. Her father was Samuel Bowen, a native of Middlefield, New York, and her mother, nee Anna Butts, was a native of Hudson, New York. Grace was one of four children and I believe she was the only one who lived to maturity.

Grace graduated from Cooperstown High School in 1883 (the 4th class to graduate from the school). She never married and was a teacher and private tutor throughout her life. She was keenly interested in the history of Cooperstown and wrote many articles and some booklets on the subject. But her main passion was her flower garden.

As is stereotypically thought of "old maids," she had some interesting eccentricities. At her annual New Year's Eve parties she always served the same kind of salad and always dressed in the same manner. There is also a funny story about the scarves she always wore (and why). I'll elaborate more in a later biography of her.

I don't know if any of this helps you to tie in to her family. There are still cousins surviving in New York and Massachusetts.

Regards,
Phillip

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Tom,

Miss Bowen was born on Lake Street in Cooperstown, New York, on March 9, 1867. Do you need additional information about her early life? The Cooperstown Historical Society has a large file on the Bowen family of that village, including many pictures.

Mike Findlay

Apr 22, 2007
Hello,
Can anyone tell me where I can find a picture of Grace Scott Bowen?
I've come across a photo that's supposed to be of Titanic survivors. It has a lady and a teenage boy. I'm trying to figure out if it's Ms. Bowen and Jack Ryerson.

Thanks for any help,
Kathleen Poulin

Apr 22, 2007
It took me over a year, but I finally found a pic of Miss Grace Scott Bowen. I thought someone else might be interested, so here she is.

134631.jpg