Graham Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

graham pickles

Hi all, My names Graham and I am 40 years old. At present I am on sick due to heart problems but this means that I can put more time into doing some serious research into the titanic crew and passengers who came or born from Yorkshire. my main topic at the moment is sixth officer moody, as I am from Scarborough and have a lot of contacts in the press and council thear.also in my main list are 12 others which I am systematically going throb. I will be most appreciative of any help that you folk's out through can give me regarding researching family and relatives of people in York.

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello Graham,

Welcome! I'm not the one to help you with your question, but I'm sure some other people here can. There are a few guys who know everything.
Succes!
Greetings Rollie

Sep 12, 2000
Welcome to the board Mr Pickles and I do hope that your illness is not severe and that you can get back to what you were doing prior to this....although it is wonderful to have you here and your posts to share with us.
Get better!
Maureen.

Aug 29, 2000
Welcome Aboard- Inger Sheil (see Introduce yourself topic) is the gal for you on things Moody and Yorkshire and Scarbro. I LOVE Scarborough and was visiting in Sept., Whitby is my favorite spot in the world and I am a mad jet collector. It was nice to see you still have the donkey rides on the beach.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Thank you, Shelley - can't profess to have any particular expertise in any of the three topics, just a deep affection for all of them. The donkey rides reminded me irresistably of Anne Bronte who - while dying of consumption - was brought to Scarbro'. Although weak, she was still able (with that love of animals that all the Brontes had) to remonstrate with a boy who was whipping one of the donkeys too harshly.

Good to see you here, Graham - I still need to answer some of your questions on the BD board.

BTW, Shelley - I was in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin on the weekend...is Bram Stoker buried there?

~ Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes the donkeys are still on the beach and working hard, I may of unintentionally misled Inga in to believing I still lived in Scarb. but I only moved out five year's ago and still visit relatives and friends there and still consider it to be my home. By the way Inga if you read this have you been to North Wales yet and if so was it regarding officer Wild.

I also have some lovely photos of scarborough dating back to the 1800s. As I stated on your board If you are interested I will get them to you some how.one of the photo's is of the shipbuilding at Scarborough and shows one of the last vessels (the barque Thames) on the stocks in Tindall yard, which is now the harbor.

Once again to all and one thank you and I will be starting a lot of postings soon so all the best for the season and have a good x-mass and prosperous new year.

Graham

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo, Graham -

Ah, I consider Scarbro' to be a home away from home although I was neither born there nor have ever lived there :) Just pop up there every now and then.

I have been to North Wales (and will be returning there again this year), but that was primarily for research on Lowe rather than Wilde.

I would be very interested in seeing the Scarbro' photos, and would love to show you some of my period photos and postcards (have been picking them up for a while). Do you ever get down to London? If so, we could arrange to meet here, or perhaps the next time we're both up on the North east Yorkshire coast.

All the best,

Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Inger,

Sorry for the few days laps in replying but due to family and time of year I am a bit tied up.

In answer to your question unfortunately I am not expected to be in London for a bit but I do come down a few times per year (when I am allowed to restart work) and will look you up.

It is more likely that I will be in Scarborough soon, and on and off in the year.

I will be in Bridlington very soon talking to some people there regarding W.H.Hartley. which is turning out to be quite a mammoth episode as they have a lot of info regarding him leading bands there at the old spa.

When time gets near I will try to arrange a meeting with you either in London or north.

regards Graham

P.S
Sorry I got the person in Wales wrong I must of been somewhere else when I typed it. But isnt there a connection with Wilde in north Wales or am I completely going gar-gar.

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello Graham,

Is that the Scarborough from that song "Scarborough hill" you're talking about?

Greetings Rollie

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Rollie,
Not sure on that but it is the Scarborough of "Scarborough fair" sung by ? sorry at the time of starting this I knew but now I have forgot.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
:) 'Scarborough Fair' is one of those wonderful old riddle folk songs, like the one that begins 'I gave my love a cherry that had no stone'. Unfortunately, the lyrics answering the riddles posed in 'Scarborough Fair' have been lost, so we don't know the solutions. A version was done by Simon and Garfunkle, but the song is much older:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
For once she was a true love of mine.

2. Have her make me a cambric shirt
Without a seam or fine needle work
And then she'll be a true love of mine.

3. Have her wash it in yonder dry well
Where ne'er a drop of water e'er fell

4. Have her find me an acre of land
Between the sea and over the sand

5. Plow the land with the horn of a lamb
Then sow some seeds from north of the dam

6. If she tells me she can't, I'll reply
Let me know that at least she will try

7. Love imposes impossible tasks
Though not more than any heart asks
And I must know she's a true love of mine.

8. Dear, when thou has finished thy task
Come to me, my hand for to ask
For thou then art a true love of mine.

The annual Scarborough Fair enjoyed its best days in the middle ages, and has long since vanished.

Graham, I look forward to meeting you and discussing Moody and Boxhall - might even make it an excuse to travel back up to Scarborough :)

All the best,

Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Inger,
Hope you get this before your travels.

Simon garfunkel was the version I was thinking about and yes it is one that takes a lot of thinking about.

I must applaud you for knowing the words to a most lovable song. I also believe that it has been resurrected by many singers.

Also Scarborough still has a form of Scarborough fair held mid year and still lasting ten days (or so).

I look foreword to meeting you and all the best on your travels.

Look foreword to your return and corresponding with you soon

Regards
Graham

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Graham - I cheated and found the lyrics on the web as there was a verse or two I couldn't remember :) It is a longstanding favourite of mine, however, and back when I had a faint interest in music I enjoyed playing it on the flute.

You're right about Wilde having a North Wales connection - It's through his wife.

Regards,

Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Inger,
Cheating or not I still think it good to see the words of Scarborough fair. And if you play the flute with as much conviction as everything else you do I am sure that you will be a good but modest player.

Now your back I wonder if you can help me regarding Mr Moody. I have been told that a Mr and Mrs J.Kirby new the Moody family well and there is still a relative about the Richmond area.

I have managed to trace a Mr Jack Kirby to Bridlington but he died in or around the early seventies. His wife Mary Kirby moved to gool and also died a few years later. Apparently they have a son/grandson (cant find out which as storys seem to differ) who lived in Gool moved to Bridlington to be with them and then moved to Hull where he joined the R.A.F as a fire fighter his name is Mark Lamming, this I would assume it to mean that he is the Kirbys Grandson not son. The person I spoke to says that the Kirbys had connections with Scarborough and had some of the later photo's of Moody and his family.

With the brick walls I have come upon I think that the people who told me the story are miss informed. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

Nice to see you back and hope you had a good holiday time.
Graham

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo, Graham :) I'm still on holiday (and sneaking moments away from my kind and indulgent host to tap at his computer).

The name 'Kirby' might ring a bit of a bell with me, but I'll have to check my notes on the Moody's Scarborough circle. Interesting coincidence on Mark Lamming's name - as you know, Moody's mother was a Lammin (minus the 'g'). I haven't come across this lead before, but will run it through the names I have and question some of my contacts.

The flute playing was done with my usual bull-headed, wholehearted enthusiasm, but I assure you that my modesty about it is entirely well-placed :)

All the best,

Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Inger.

Just a quick one . Yes I did know the Lamming without the "G" But I discovered something else.
Apparently Mark Had or has a brother believed to be either Robin or Robert also from Gool who went into the merchant navy and trained at Trinity House in Hull. Apparently Mark was the odd one out of the family as he chose the R.A.F and not the Navy, evidently his father and father before where all in the merchant/royal navy before him dating back to sailing ships. I have also been told by the same person that Robert or Robin has a sextant which has been past down in the family and may have some connection with the Moody Lamming family, it was handed down to whoever in the family finished training.
The lead I have been following has come to an end until I can either travel to Gool or Bridlington to reestablish the person who this info came from, You may know this person as apparently someone else had approached her but did not make further contact. (not suggesting that this person was you as she says that she was rather abrupt).
The annoying fact is that I was hoping she could help with Hartley not Moody but once again I have been sidetracked and engrossed that a connection has come up that I didn't realize was so close to home.

Anyway hope the festive season is still with you and that you haven't got to much snow unlike us hear.
speak to you soon or sooner if I can dig out any more info for you.

Thanks for the offer and look foreword to any info you might have.
Graham

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day there, Graham - thanks for providing more interesting background on the Kirby connection. I haven't followed up anything along these lines, so I suspect that the abrupt woman isn't me (I'm usually the 'chatty Australian that refuses to shaddap') ;-) Anyway, I'll have a chat to my contacts when I get back to the UK and see what information they can provide. There is more Moody material extant than is generally realised, but the people that hold it do not court publicity, for understandable reasons.

You wouldn't be up for a trip to Hull with me at some point in the future, would you? Kerri and I spent a few days there last year working on Boxhall, and I've long wanted to make a follow up visit. I wouldn't mind returning to Grimsby either - we turned up some good material there last time, but I've since found out more about the Moody family in that area (where they originated) and would like to chase it up.

So it's snowing up North, eh? Not a skerrick of it where I am in California (the climate is remarkably like Sydney in winter).

All the best,

Inger

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Inger,

So you are basking in the sun. putting shrimps on the barby and slurping warm wine. not that I am envious but remember all good things come to an end.

I have today been speaking to a friend from Brid who has told me a bit more gossip on the Kirby/lamming family and it is getting quite intriguing.

Ill try to put it in a chronological order for you and see if it makes any sense to you when you get back.(will try to post it in the next couple of days as it is getting bogged down on bits of paper all over my desk)

As to the trip to Hull I will look foreword to it as I can always find good reasons to research there. Hull is one of my old haunting grounds so I know a lot of places where I can dig out info. We where there for five weeks this year and it is surprising what you find in dark corners of halls etc..

Like I said in last posting I didn't think it was you by what was said (the personality came over wrong to what it does hear).

well ill get back to trying to tidy my desk up before someone else does it and then Cant find anything.

G

Graham Pickles

Inger
If you want that info on the Kirby family and Lamming family can you let me know and I will post the info I have now gaind (think it might be red herring but i am still looking at it)
graham

Dec 27, 2000
Dorset
Hi Graham,

Fellow English person here, although I live in Weymouth, Dorset on the South Coast. A few of the crew members came from Weymouth, although they were based in Southampton, so I'm hot on those people, but unfortunately not on those from Yorkshire..I'm working on it through!

hope you are better soon

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.