Grand Staircase circular skylight iron frame spotted in debris field

Feb 14, 2011
One of the most interesting pictures in Ballard's 'Return To The Titanic" was an image claimed to be the circular iron frame of either the aft or forward grand staircase skylight...What an amazing find..I believe the image is indeed the remnants of one of the two elegant glass domes(or rather the circulat metal framework).
What do you all think of the image?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Can you tell me what page it's on? I'm in the process of reading through it now, but I'm not really doing a lot of leaping ahead. Can't say as the discovery in the debris field...if true...would be much of a surprise. The forces at work were nothing to sneer at. As the framework is clearly not visible on the wreck, it had to go somewhere.

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Tarn,
sure looks like it to me. I am inclined to believe it's the aft grand staircase frame, as 1. it's circular (the forward dome was oval) and 2. the aft GSC dome was in the area where breakup occured, enabling it to leave the ship. It's on page 146 of the book, Michael.

Dan

Feb 14, 2011
If this fragile item can be recovered and conserved, that would be wonderful, though Im inclined to beleiove it would crumble at the slightest touch..
One would think the missing aft grand staircase baullestrades last seen by Ballard in 85/86 should be in the same area....

Ken Marschall, you out there? Do you think that image in Ballard's new book was indeed the frame of one of the staircase skylights?

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Hi Tarn,

"Ken Marschall, you out there? Do you think that image in Ballard's new book was indeed the frame of one of the staircase skylights?"

Oh, that's an easy one. No doubt about it. The design details are unmistakable.

As to the balustrade sections, I found nine (or eleven?) of them in the ANGUS images, in various states of damage. They're immediately identifiable but quite scattered as I recall, not in one confined area of the debris field.

I subsequently spotted a few more fragments in 2000 video, but never have I seen one of the intact sections myself, up close. I can only surmise that, being iron, they might crumble if touched. The elevator grills we documented inside the wreck are also iron and clearly are deteriorating and very fragile (see "Ghosts of the Abyss" and issue No. 165 of the "Commutator").

Ken

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Maybe not though- the rear staircase would have been fairly well smashed up by the break-up, wouldn't it? Leaving the assorted pieces, including of course the ballustrades, to scatter all about the place. It's only the forward staircase that seems to have 'vanished', with all the 'did it exit the ship as a whole' theories, isn't it?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Maybe not though- the rear staircase would have been fairly well smashed up by the break-up, wouldn't it? <<

And for the most part is likely crunched somewhere in the wreck. What were talking about here are bulestrades scattered all over the place which I can't see happening if the staircase was ejected reletively intact.

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
I've always assumed the balustrades imaged in the debris field by the ANGUS cameras came from the disintegrated aft staircase. It only makes sense. That's exactly where the hull separated.

As for the forward staircase, even if the heavy iron balustrades on the stairs themselves lifted out during the sinking, where are all the balustrades that surrounded the stairwell? Not one has been spotted thrown into a corner, at an angle (sticking up out of the debris), so if they are within the wreck, they must be lying flat on deck, now covered by the 12-18 inches of crud.

By the way, I neglected to mention above that this fragment of the aft dome was actually imaged by ANGUS's cameras during Ballard's '85 or '86 expedition. But the altitude at which the shots were taken made the scale of the object hard to determine, far away and faint and grainy. It just looked like some odd, unidentifiable "spoked" thing. I labeled it a "mystery object." It didn't occur to me that it could be so large.

Ken

Jun 12, 2004
Speaking of the forward grand staircase, has any of the exploratory missions ever attempted to clear some of the 'crud' from the landing(s) around the space where the staircase used to be in order to ascertain the condition and state of the floor tiles? Considering the material out of which those tiles were made, it may be possible that they (or some of them) may have survived intact even now, although, perhaps, quite faded, scratched, and warped from long exposure to water.

Anyway, just wondered...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>has any of the exploratory missions ever attempted to clear some of the 'crud' from the landing(s) around the space where the staircase used to be in order to ascertain the condition and state of the floor tiles? <<

Not that I'm aware of. The manned submersibles don't carry that sort of equipment to my knowladge...though I could be wrong...and I don't know of any ROV's actually used which could do anything more then take photos. Not sure I'd want to try it anyway. It would be all too easy to stir up a lot of muck effectively reducing visibilty to zero.

Feb 14, 2011
I would not be the least bit surprised if an aft grandstaircase balustrade or two is found between, or beneath the large reciprocating engines..

As for the forward staircase balustrades, there seems to be a foot or so of rust and muck on the deck..Odds are they are lying flat on each deck....

It would be nice if a small section of deck could be cleaned of grime so as to see what lies beneath- i would like to see if the tiled floor still exists...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
I could have sworn that I saw somewhere on the RMS Titanic Inc. site where they had lifted a section of flooring from the grand staircase area showing a piece of black and a piece of white tiles. If I can find the link I'll pass it on.

EDIT: I'm afraid due to password protection I cannot pass on the link, however I can direct you to the proper site.

Go to:
http://www.titanic-online.com/ and click on Expeditions -> 2004 and then click on the link at the bottom of the page talking about "Expedition 2004 Photographs." It will request you register, if you already are just type in your e-mail address. On the page that follows you will see that the 3rd picture down on the left column talks about it being a piece of the grand staircase floor.

Jan 5, 2001
Why Dr. Robert Ballard, finds the Dome (the circular iron frame of either the aft or forward grand staircase skylight), baullestrades , statua of Artemisa, baggages, doors of the restaurant, smoking room's debris ......on the debris fields and the RMS Titanic doesn't find nothing on the debris fields to rescue.

Feb 14, 2011
sandro, RMS Titanic In found nothing in the debris field? I beg to differ. How about the 6000 plus artifacts RMSTI recovered, some truly remarkable artifacts at that?

Apr 3, 2005
Plus finding objects down that deep is like finding a needle in a haystack. Shifting sands, currents, low visibility make finding anything a low chance at best unless you stumble right upon it.
I personally would love to see where the compass platform went, but unless it's totally disintegrated or covered up, it may be years if ever till it's found.
Sorry if this has been answered, but has anyone ever found the ship's bell? Thought one had been found but it was a long while back and can't find it anymore.

Jan 5, 2001
Sorry, but because my fascination about Titanic, I would like that RMS Titanic would rescue the dome (circular iron frame of either the aft or forward grand staircase skylight), baullestrades , statue of Artemisa, doors of the restaurant, smoking room's debris..ecc

Apr 3, 2005
You also have to remember that a lot of those items you mentioned may not even be in any shape to be "Rescued" and may break into a lot of pieces if they attempt to move or raise them. Even items that have submerged for far less time have been found in sad shape.
Salt water isn't very kind to most things.