Grand staircase model

May 3, 2004
Daniel,
Thank's for the information. I have found that in dead the tile was linoleum and that the color was black and white. Also if the dome was oval in the forward GSC should the chandelier also be oval? What do you think?
Regards
Frankie

J

Jonathan Hill

first of all how do you know it was linoleum? where did you get that information. and in kens paintings the design is blue infact the tiles dont really look white, they looks almost light brownish could be the fact that there was soo much wood around there and the fact that the lights back then casted a yellowish color over everything, could make them appear white, i have studied the Titanic for many many years i think i know my stuff,
Jonathan

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Jonathan,

We know the flooring here was an early version of Linoleum because, for one thing, they are found the debris field. Ballard got several photos of these 18-inch-square "tiles," a few showing the "star" pattern, too. The pieces that are separated from their Litosilo subflooring are warped and show their 1/4-inch thickness. The underwater photographs show them to be black and white. If the pattern appears blue in your reproduction of my grand staircase painting, then I can't explain that.

The floor in the painting appears warm because of--you got it--the omnipresent incandescent lighting.

Ken

Dec 7, 2000
Ken,

Ha! 18 inches! Thank you Ken. I have battled with many-a-photo and illustration to try figure out the measurement, and ended up with 19inches ... I was so close! :) Could I trouble you for the size of the 2nd class tile, the type that was used in the 2nd class stiarcase entrances (also used in the 3rd class staircase, and General and Smoke Rooms).

Regards,

Daniel.

Jul 11, 2001
Daniel, Have you seen the pics in the "Olympic Auction" thread? There are a few photos of tiles there.

David Smith

PS: Good to see you posting again.
happy.gif

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Daniel,

I can see I'm going to be increasing my work load if I don't curtail my posting... :) I don't have the size at hand for the 2nd-/3rd-class squares, but perhaps you've seen a few in the artifact exhibits. The basic square (with the inset "cross") as used in the 2nd-class staterooms appeared to be about 6 inches to me. Those who have worked with the artifacts and their inventory could give you an exact measurement, I'm sure. Then you have to add the extra border pieces used in the public areas.

Ken

May 3, 2004
Ken,
I love your work. Thank you for giving us Titanic. Your art work and Titanic the movie (Cameron) inspired me to build my model. I will be posting more picture in the next few weeks so check in from time to time.
PS If you get the chance to reply to me, I like to know if the dome was oval should the chandelier be oval like in the first class lounge?
Regards
Frankie

J

Jonathan Hill

ok here are some of my grandstaircase model pictures it was just taken with a 35mm camera so its not really good quality but you get an idea.
87406.jpg
87407.jpg

J

Jonathan Hill

Ken, thank you for letting me know that it was linoleum, i had no idea, for years i really thought it was ceramic tile, thank you for solving that mystery
happy.gif
and yes those at the top are pictures of the Grand staircase, which sits in the Houston Maritime Museum, hope you enjoy,
i will try to get some better pictures of it up,
thank you
Jonathan H

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Frank,

Thanks for the compliment. The electrolier in the center of the forward dome was circular, or so it appears in the one photo of the fixture I know of (the full-page ad in "Shipbuilder" magazine).

Ken

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Good work Jonathan. I'm in the process of making models of the Lounge and Smoking room and know how much work goes into something like that! I'll try and get photos posted if you want to see them.
Regards Damon

May 3, 2004
KEN,

Thanks for the information. Do you have the year and mouth of the issue. Also I read that the dome was back lit, is this true?

Frank

Dec 7, 2000
Frank,

Not back lit, there is an original drawing of the dome moulding that shows that linolite was worked into the moulding, and thus the circumforance of the dome (the base of it that is) would have been lit at night, the 50-light chandelier would have had to do the rest of the work for the dome.

Regards,

Daniel.

J

Jonathan Hill

i went to the museum today to take these shots a little rough but hope you guys enjoy them,
Jonathan H
87432.jpg
87433.jpg
87434.jpg
87435.jpg