Grand Staircase model

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Hi everyone. This is my first post on ET. Anyway for the past three months i have been making a model of Titanic's Grand Staircase. It has been a very difficult model to make. I have made it from scratch using plans from the internet, the film and photographs. Some parts of the model are inaccurate. But it is just a starter before i move onto making it from wood.I will post some photos soon.
James.

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Here is one of the dome. As you can probably tell,the model is made from a cardboard box. It isnt 100% accurate. I am still pleased with it. Please give your views on my model.
James.View Image

May 3, 2004
Hello James,
Welcome to ET. I'm glad to see other modelers interested in building the interior rooms of the Titanic. The Grand Staircase is quit a difficult challenge, but the end result is worth it. If you should need some advice or help, feel free to ask me.
Frankie

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Thanks for your reply Frank. I think your model is brilliant by the way. Yes the staircase is a difficult part of the ship to make. Have you got any more photos of it? I will post more of mine soon. What do you think of it so far?
James.

Nov 26, 2005
James, be proud of that model!!

You have done a WONDERFUL job of making that staircase! And with cardboard?? That must have been a challenge! It looks great!

I have tried to make a Grand Staircase before, and it turned out looking more like a fire escape with a mushroom hanging over it (my dome) LOL.

Great job and very creative work with your materials!!

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Thankyou for all of your replies. I am glad you like my model. Here are some more photos. As you may have gathered, it isnt finished yet. It has taken me three months to get this far. I did some each night after school. I managed to get a relatively similar looking cherub from a model show.
James.
View Image

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi James. I enjoy making models of the titanics interior too. Years ago i made one of the Grand Staircase out of cardboard, but it didn't turn out as well as yours....eventually it fell off the top of a wardrobe and that was it. I made a cherub out of bread dough that had to be baked to harden so i cheated and put it in the microwave instead..but forgot i had put wire inside it...the resulting fireworks were spectacular though!

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Hi Damon. Cardboard is a difficult material to work with. Particularly when it isnt very strong, which causes it to rip when cut.I bought my cherub from a model show, then painted it.
Here is another photo of it a few weeks ago held up to a light bulb.
James.View Image

Nov 26, 2005
Cardboard IS a very difficult thing to work with. That's why I'm so shocked at how good your model looks!

Now I'm toying with the idea of playing with balsa wood just to see what I come up with for a Grand Staircase. It's been a few years since I've tried an interior. Might as well. As soon as I finish my Olympic conversion, of course!

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
The pillars and ceiling beams are made from balsa wood on my model. I am planning on making the dining room or the 1st class reception area on D Deck next.That should be a challenge. What is your Olympic conversion?
James.View Image

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Here is a clearer photo of the dome on my model. I made it by cutting strips of card and glueing them onto a balloon so it would be a frame. When it was dry i painted it black then glued some misted paper onto the outside. I drew the patterns on afterwards using a black fineliner and gold pen.It was the most difficult thing to make.Does anyone know what kind of chandelier there was in the centre, and how i could light the dome from the outside?
James.View Image

Nov 26, 2005
My Olympic conversion is about half done. It's a 1/350th Titanic kit that I've altered to look like Olympic. I've made the A-deck promenade open all the way forward and aft and have made some minor adjustments to some of the decks and housings. I don't have any pictures yet as neither of my digital cameras seem capable of taking a picture without it turning out a blurry mess. I think I need better lighting around the model. Will try to post some pictures when I can.

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Hi Matthew. That sounds tricky. I made a kit Titanic a few years ago. Hope you like some of my new model pictures. I would like toa model of the Britannic. Then again i prefer to make models myself rather than using kits. It seems more enjoyable and satisfying to know you have made it. Let me know how you are getting on. I will keep you updated on my model.
James.View Image

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Hi everyone. I havent been on ET for a while because i have been extremely busy with the model. I have done a lot more to it since my last post and it looks a lot better as it starts to come together. I will post some photos when i have took them.
James.

James Birkin

Dec 1, 2005
Hi everyone.
Sorry i havent been on in ages since April. I have got a lot done on the staircase but i havent really been doing it a lot over the summer as i have been restoring an old car. I am going to try and finish the model soon. I have done the windows on the top level and also i have added some detail onto the panels beside the clock with match sticks. It is looking better now with those added. I am going to take a few pictures and put them up as soon as i can. Can anyone tell me why i cant view some of my images on the posts that i have posted since the 1st of April, it says they cannot be found.
James.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello James,

There was a problem with the server some months back, which is the cause for the error message. I'm afraid you'll have to upload those photos again, if you wish them to be viewed on here.