Grand stairs beached

L

Luke Mack

I often wondered if the grand staircase floated out of the ship wouldnt it possibility beach somewhere? maybe it is frozen in the north atlantic to this day.

i guess it just sunk though

Luke

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Luke, I don't think the Grand Staircase floated out in a single piece. I'm of the opinion that hydrodynamic forces tore it to bits and what was left of it was ejected from the ship as she sank and or scattered throughout the bow section buried under sediment. If you check some of the Ghosts of the Abyss Part II Outtakes in The Titanic Commutator, you'll find that fragmentary remains of the bulestrades are still there along with pieces of wood.

Even if the thing had been ejected in one piece, it certainly wouldn't have frozen solid. It would have drifted along with the same currents as the iceberg did, ultimately to warmer water. In time, storms and rot would finish the job that the sinking didn't.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've no idea. Since there's very little evidence beyond speculation that it happened that way, the point is academic. Bear in mind that this beast was five stories high and made of heavy oak and iron so nobody would just be picking it up whole. Not without a lot of help. >shrug<

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Michael,

"If you check some of the Ghosts of the Abyss Part II Outtakes in The Titanic Commutator, you'll find that fragmentary remains of the bulestrades are still there along with pieces of wood."

Fragments of the oak stanchion casings and column bases with some surviving carving, yes, but no balustrade sections have yet been glimpsed anywhere inside the wreck, to my knowledge. Outside in the debris field, yes--I counted at least nine of the wrought-iron and gilt-bronze sections in Ballard's ANGUS photography, if I recall, all intact. (Oddly, none of these seem to have been found later or photographed up close.) As you said, I believe there must be at least a few lying flat on the decks inside, now covered with sediment and fallen rusticles.

Ken

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks for those insights Ken. I think that any way you cut it, these observations should put to rest the notion that the whole thing was ejected intact as per a lot of popular speculation. The Grand Staircase made it out of the ship allright...in pieces!

L

Luke Mack

couldnt these pieces also be from the aft grand staircase?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>couldnt these pieces also be from the aft grand staircase?<<

It would depend on exactly what those pieces were. When the ship came unglued, the fragments went everywhere in a random and unpredictable pattern. Could some of them be from the Aft Grand Staircase?

Sure.

Are they?

I honestly don't know.