Grand Stiarcase heaters

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hello,

What were the make of the heaters seen in the foryers of the Grand Staircase. I heard that they are commonly refered as "space heaters" Why is that? Does anyone know there offical name? Were these heaters only in the foryers of the two grand staircases or were they located in other rooms of the vessel/s?

All the best,

Nigel

Apr 22, 2012
Nigel,

The heaters like the ones in the Grand Staircase foyers were Promotheus space heaters. Space heaters are best used to heat individual spaces like small rooms; hence their name. I have a similar heater in my bathroom. They were also used in the first class hallways, and I'm sure they could be found elsewhere on board. There were 520 of them on the ship. My source for this information is Robert Ballard's "The Discovery of the Titanic."

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Dec 7, 2000
The heaters described by Nigel were only found in the first class grand staircase entrances (fore and aft), they were not found anywhere else (that particular style). There were no heaters in the first class hallways/corridors. There were of course the almost 500 other space heaters in cabins and other first class areas.

Daniel.

Apr 22, 2012
There were no heaters in the first class hallways/corridors.

Well then, the image in the Ballard book was mis-captioned. It said the space heater shown was in a first class passageway. Neither did it mention that there were different kinds of space heaters on board. My bad; the book was mis-captioned.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Yes, that heater is shown against the wall of an outboard stateroom on Olympic. I don't have my plans of Olympic in front of me but the two doors side by side match only a few stateroom configurations. You can see in the rear room light coming from the right, suggesting a porthole. The fore room has been stripped of furnishings as well. The picture might have been taken during a refit or at the end of her career, as the doorknob is missing and has a lot of wear/dirt around that area of the door.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
What type of heaters were in the Private Promenade decks that belonged to suites B-52-54-56 & B-51-53-55? In some of the shots, heaters can be seen like in the photgraph of Ismay's deck. Were they a different type of heater or the same type as seen in the Grand Staircase Foryers?

All the best,

Nigel

Dec 7, 2000
Nigel, they were different. I haven't got my photos, but I think they were the same as in the Cafe Parisien.

Also that heater and cabin that Dan refers to is Olympic's cabin C58. It's a Harland and Wolff image, and was taken in early 1911 while Olympic's interiors were being fitted out.

Daniel.

Dec 7, 2000
Wanted to make one other point. The same style of heater that was in the grand staircase foyers was not found anywhere else. Whether that exact type of heater was redressed in a different style I don't know. I'm sure it might have been the same heater, with a different outer look that was in the promenades and the Cafe Parisien. There were many similar heaters in different cabins that were furnished in different styles for different decorations of cabins.

Daniel.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
From what you guys have said would it be right in saying that second-class would of had the same type of heater, but I guess less grander looking ones. Are there any photographs showing any second-class heaters?

With regards,

Nigel