Graves in Philadelphia PA USA area

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>P.S.S. I know you don't give a hoot but I found the reference to dead people don't care a little harsh.<<

Not harsh...just reality. Since I make no apology for not being a sentimentalist, there's little real point in trying to call me on the carpet for that.

In regards to where the ladders went, it would appear from the evidence that people had little trouble making their way up from below. If there were any barriers...and I think in a larger sense there were...they were rarely of the physical kind suggested in the mythos surrounding the Titanic. Certainly the blokes who made it to the well decks didn't have any problem at all. Getting past those gates leading up to B Deck was a bit of a trick but no more difficult then leapfrogging the lot as they were only about waist high. Especially for the guy who went after the seaman who pitched him back down.

(I wonder if he ever caught up with that crewman.)

As a little aside, do you have any deck plans of the ship. If you don't, or have to rely on the Eaton and Haas plans, you may want to invest in a copy of the deck plans put together by Bruce Beveridge. You can go to http://titanic-model.com/ga-plans/ for more information.

I'll offer you a little tip from my own training in shipboard damage control under combat conditions: Learn to think in three dimensions. Look at what's below and above as well as forward, aft, and side to side. I think you'll find that it helps to explain a lot!

Apr 7, 2001
Thank you for the link to Beveridge's site. Took a brief look at the forum and they certainly get detailed don't they, talking about brass strips at the top of the stairs, how more detailed can you get. It is nice to know I have a place to go should I ever need detailed information such as that. The entertaining bits was seeing the below job titles on the small deck plan (E). White Star certainly left no hands overlooked, ha ha.

Sauce Cook, Roasting Cook
Vegetable Cook, Fish Cook
Pastry Man, Poultry Man
Pageboy (a boy who is employed to run errands)

Beveridge's site has a small gif of the Bostwick gate leading upwards, but it was the one aft. I just might invest in the plans, who knows.

Fair enough on not claiming to be sentimental. At least you're honest about it. I have a better sense of your makeup, and thoroughly understand your signature better too.

I think I got your combat experience. You were saying it is important to always look all around you to maintain what is going on. Right?

I might have a deck plan or two in the books I have, but no I do not have any purchased plans, well, the only purchase deck plan I have is of the Majestic II. I wanted the plans of Majestic One but the guy who mailed it to me sent me the wrong one, or he didn't have the one I wanted.

I am still working on the passenger list.

--Teri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I think I got your combat experience. You were saying it is important to always look all around you to maintain what is going on. Right?<<

Bingo!

I was one of the lucky ones to have never seen combat, but I've had a few close calls with non combat crisis. It's very difficult to make a career at sea without facing something that'll get your heart racing.

In any event, if you have a fire burning in a main propulsion machinary room, (Been there done that!) and the adjoining spaces were things like storerooms filled with dangerous chemicals, flammables such as clothing, or an ammunition magazine, wouldn't you as a damage control officer want to know that? As a member of the fire team, wouldn't you want to know where to set the fire boundries as well as possible escape routes if things get ahead of you?

I think you might!
wink.gif