Great image of SSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

The latest release of National Geographic featured, on their flashback page, a stellar photograph of the "Big U" departing on her maiden voayge (Lower Manhattn in backdrop).

Interesting that it is, a paragraph that accompanies said photo states..."After the loud and fantastic claims made in advance for the liner UNITED STATES," complained PUNCH, the British magazine, "it comes as something of a disappointment to find them all true."

:)

See it for yourself @ - nationalgeographic.com/ngm/flashback/0209

Michael A. Cundiff
USA
(Off to a matinee...:)

Nov 23, 1996
Here is something from here Maiden Voyage to add to this thread

49090.jpg

Jul 11, 2001
I bought this advert for General Motors Fisher body division. I collect Cadillac advertisements so when I saw this one with the SS United States I was VERY happy!

I have not seen any others since.

Click here to see this pic. SS United States Ad

Sorry it is at a slight angle as I was having trouble getting a good pic without glare.

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks Jason. I'll try to take it out of it's frame and scan the image this weekend.

It is a large Life magazine sized page, so at best I'll get the top half scanned. But it should be pretty impressive.

Apr 8, 2008
Are there any color photos of the ship from above while the ship was new. I'm looking for something that will give me an idea of what color the decks were when new. There are some online picts of the ship as she looks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.