Great site for Innacuracies in the Cameron Film Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2003
I was looking for "blooper" site...I just spent a little time visiting a movie blunder site and saw some entries for the Titanic. What you do is post the boo-boo that you saw and people have a chance to correct you or explain why the boo-boo couldn't be avoided. there were some that went either way...

1. Rose's eyes...brown as a young Rose, blue as an old Rose

2. Jack tells Rose of a lake he fished in...Lake Wissota--someone said that it was a man-made lake and made years after the ship sank.

3. Tatoos...Rose has one on her shoulder as she ids running to the rail to jump; when she gets there, the tatoo is gone; supposedly Kate has a bunch of tatoos and the editing department missed a few.

4. Rose is wearing a necklace at dinner before she tries to jump off the ship...but when she is running to the rail, it is not there...apparently, there was a filmed and cut scene where she makes a pit stop at her cabin, rips the necklace off and lets down her hair before running to the rail

5.Rose's blanket on the Carpathia...from behind it is on her shoulder...from the front it is on her head...I don't remember this one but someone claims it happened.

People went on and on about things. Some things, according to the site, are not considered bloopers if they couldn't be controlled...like the amount of clouds in the ski...and some weren't considered bloopers if there was a plausible explanation for why it was done.

Very interesting and fun.

T

Tom Pappas

Flash! This is NOT a "Great site for inaccuracies" because 3/4 of the alleged inaccuracies are WRONG.

One of the wrong ones is quoted in Deborah's post - the "tattoo" is a fringe on Kate's dress.

Jul 12, 2003
I just thought that the posts were interesting but if you explore it further and see the comments/corrections made by those who respond to the "inaccuracies", you will see many of them corrected or adjusted. I didn't claim it was a great site. I only posted it here because it was the closest thread to what I wanted to mention.

I didn't say I agreed with any of them. You just have to read them with a grain of salt. I haven't read all of them, so I don't know which are true or which are false.

I just wanted to share a site I found...it was just an FYI thing...nothing meant to be written in stone.

I actually don't think there are as many bloopers as people claim. If there were, than James C. had better hire someone new for continuity on his next film.

L

Lacey Shine

I went to the site. Yes, most of them are wrong. Such as;
-The one where someone said young Rose has brown eyes and old Rose has blue eyes. Both do have blue eyes.
A few are correct. I had to rewind the movie a few times to see them though. Its a little weird to imagine that James Cameron missed a few mistakes such as;
-When Jack and Rose are running away from Cal in the first-class dining room, you can see tons of light shining through the windows. Its supossed to be in the middle of the night. This scene was obviously shot during the day.

Jul 12, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if time constraints kept JC from correcting every little "blooper" in the film. It would have cost a lot more $ to make the film if that extra time was spent. Of course, there is always the reason that film makers think a majority of film viewers don't catch those kinds of things in a film.

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! I do not think the above mentioned scene (running in the first class dining room) was shot in day light. I have seen in many sites, including ET, that these windows were lighted from behind in the evenings, so it is probably not a mistake after all. Any more suggestions or comments are always welcome! Thanks!

L

Lacey Shine

Oh ok. Yeah, I heard that too but why would they light the windows like that? It doesnt make any sense to me but the director had a reason, I guess. Titanic is my favorite movie and I still think the movie is the best even if there are a few mistakes!

Jun 4, 2003
Hi Lacey! It is not entirely a director's "idea", he just wanted to be as precise as possible since these windows were actually lighted from behind in order to give the room a nice touch of luxury in the evenings! Thanks!!!

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Lacey,
yes, the double port-holes, as George concurs, were lit from behind the panel glass windows at night. The dome at the top of the grand staircase was also lighted at night. If neither were lit in the evening, there would be these dark voids to view, and in first class at the time, this would have been an unpleasant sight...
A little bit of cursory research would reduce some of those entries like the one being discussed presently...

L

Lacey Shine

Well I actually research alot about the Titanic all the time. I just thought the windows looked way too bright to be done on purpose. Dan, please dont be so uptight if misinterpret something again. Im only 14. Thank you. I know alot about the Titanic but I guess I didnt know about that.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hello, Lacey!
First of all, welcome to the ET! We are glad you're here, and hope you learn much from this site!
Actually, my above posting refers to those who rush to post 'mistakes' to movie mistake web sites, complete with smarm and cynicism, not knowing what it is they're looking at. I should have made this more evident in my original posting.
James Cameron was/is a particular visual person when it came to the 1997 film. However, like any other movie, descrepancies still surface. That's the price of movie-making, I'm afraid.

grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.