GREAT SITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Just one problem with this timeline:

05/1910 - R.M.S. Titanic completed; launched for White Star Line

04/1911 - Olympic completed; launched for White Star

I believe someone made a slight error here.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Meant to add I realize the item about the Olympic is correct; just placed it there to show the difference between the two entrys.

Best regards,
Cook

A

Andrew Johnston

I have two questions!

05/1999 - Carnival Cruise Lines; has a "mutiny" on a cruise. (Whats that about?!)

08/1981 - Epirotiki's "m/s Oceanos" sinks mysteriously in the Indian Ocean. No casualties.
(another OCEANOS from the same company, the same month but 10 years earlier than the 1991 Oceanos incident?!)

Please help me solve the questions i have in brackets. () Thanks!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know anything about a mutiny, but the cause of the Oceano's loss is no mystery by any stretch of the imagination. A sea chest fratured, admitting water to the ship. This wouldn't have been fatal in and of itself were it not for a pipe leading into the waste management system not being properly sealed off which allowed water to percolate into every compartment by way of the toilets!

This just goes to show that even the most trivial mistakes at sea are not always so trivial.

From http://www.sname.org/committees/tech_ops/O44/passcasualties.html

=================================================
16. Oceanos Passenger liner; 7,500 GRT; 150m long; 581 passengers/crew; Greek registry; built 1951; CASUALTY: August 4, 1991, about 5 miles off South Africa.

During a rough storm (45 knot winds), water entered engine room through a damaged seawater pipe. Watertight doors were closed, but progressive flooding through other pipes eventually cause ship to lose power and heel to 20°. Ship was rolling heavily as it drifted towards shore. Passenger recovery was a debacle, but there were no fatalities. Ship capsized about 12 hours after first flooding was reported.

Source: Hook, N., Maritime Casualties, 1963-1996, Lloyd’s Press, 1997

=================================================

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A little too late for the plumber!
eh.gif
-oops.

A

Andrew Johnston

No no, I know about the Oceanos disaster of 1991, I collect items about it and am the story's biggest fan, but im talking about the fact that they say there was also one in 1981 and it was in the INDIAN OCEAN, not off of Africa.... I have never heard of such an incident... same ship name and same shipping line too...

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Andrew, I suspect that's a blooper. Iin fact, it has to be.

The (1991) Oceanos did sink in the Indian Ocean off the east coast of South Africa, and I cannot believe that the same thing happened to another Oceanos of the same line ten years earlier to the day!

PS:the entire eastern seaboard of Africa fronts the Indian Ocean!

A

Andrew Johnston

well i suppose you could say that it sank in the indian ocean but I would just consider being off of the Wild Coast.

thanks for replying!

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
The only other ships that Epirotiki lost were the Pegasus on 3 june 1991 she caught fire
and the Pallas Athena on 24 march 1994 and she caught fire.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Andrew, you're welcome! Nice to see that the Oceanos has such a big fan as far away as Canada. Of course she's famous here in South Africa - we followed the saga almost minute by minute on TV as it unfolded. If you have any doubts that the Wild Coast has earned its name - don't.

The vanished Waratah is another high profile victim of the region and they still can't find her! Those can be treacherous waters, all right.

Tom, seems like 1991 was a pretty bad year for those guys at Epirotiki! At least the poor folk on the foundering Oceanos didn't have a fire to contend with on top of everything else.

(Okay, I know the Oceanos has her own thread nowadays but the subject seems to have cropped up here as well. Apologies to the moderator for keeping it here!)

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
A long time ago---Saturday---Cook wrote:

Just one problem with this timeline

More than just one, actually.

For example:

05/1914 - Aquitania completed; launched for Cunard Line
Aquitania made her MV in May 1914; she was launched in April 1913.

04/1914 - Britannic completed; launched as hospital ship; no Atlantic service
She was launched in February 1914 and completed as a hospital ship in November 1915. And she sank in 1916, not 1917, as stated two paragraphs below.

09/1933 - The S.S. Celtic II is wrecked on Cobh Island in dense fog. No injuries.
This was actually in October 1928.

Etc.

Mar 27, 2005
Anyone who can guide me the way to find the video (dvd) of the Oceanos disaster where the captain was interviewed. He told that he would be in better charge of the rescue operation from shore than located on board with the passengers.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
G'day, Captain! Welcome aboard!

There is a video called Savage Seas: Killer Waves. It includes footage of the Oceanos sinking. I don't know if it has anything about the captain and his actions.

According to Amazon, the video is hard to find.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
I know its old, but I remember hearing about the Carnival mutiny on the news. They pulled into port at the end of the cruise and some people had made banners on the deck about how a bunch of things had gone horribly wrong on the ship and Carnival had tried to cover it up, and kept the passengers in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.