Greetings from South Africa

DavidHR

Dec 23, 2019
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi All,
It is well known the Capt Edward Smith sailed to the Cape bringing troops to the Boer War. What is less well known is that he had family who had settled in the Eastern Cape. His Uncle, William Henry Smith emigrated to Natal in South Africa and married Elizabeth Wiseman. In 1871, their daughter and my great grandmother was born in the small town of Wartberg. Later the family moved to a farm near East London in the Eastern Cape.
In 1959 when a Night to Remember was showing in a cinema in East London, my grandmother mentioned that Capt Smith was her cousin. This was reported in the local newspaper alongside an article saying that Capt Smith had been to the town and had been looking at property along the Buffalo River for when he retired after his final voyage in April 1912.
I have always been fascinated by the story of the Titanic and this connection to its captain. I took my son to visit the Harland and Wolff shipyard in 2005.
1577131929077.png
1577131969983.png

This is the Titanic memorial on the Potomac River in Washington, DC.
You can clearly see how James Cameron was inspired for the King of the World scene in the 1997 movie.
DavidR

Reactions: 1 user