Greetings from VA!

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking in the forums for a while, as I am interested in the history of RMS Titanic (and even the plans to build Titanic II). I live in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

One thing I've wondered though: If Titanic had not sunk, and if she had ever sailed to Hampton Roads, would she have been able to navigate the harbor? I do know that Hampton Roads can handle the largest ships in the world (except supertankers), but I was just curious as to what the locals would've thought of Titanic visiting the area.

Who else on this forum is from my neck of the woods?

I look forward to joining in some lively discussions here! :)

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Welcome, Michael!

Unfortunately i'm far from your part of the world, but I hope you enjoy it here just the same. The discussions are often quite lively.

Re Titanic II, I wouldn't hold my breath - Clive Palmer is heavily involved in politics here in Australia these days, and i'd imagine that Titanic II would be well and truly on the back burner. One of those "i'll believe it when I see it" stories!

Cheers,
Adam.

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
Thanks for the welcome!

I can see your point on the likelihood (or lack thereof) of Titanic II coming to fruition. Still, I like to imagine what it would be like in relation to the original. Indeed, Clive Palmer has disclosed different details about the new ship and how it would be as close to the original Titanic as possible, albeit with safety technology and a few modern amenities thrown in here and there.

So far, this forum seems to be a great wealth of information on all things Titanic, and I'm glad to be a part of it. :)

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Michael,

I certainly hope that Titanic II comes to fruition - if not through Clive Palmer, hopefully somebody else takes it on. I think it's important, if for no other reason than allowing new generations to view what history must have been like. As the saying goes, those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

Take care and enjoy the forums.

Cheers,
Adam.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
The idea of building a replica of Titanic is a bit like the Loch Ness Monster - it comes up every few years. The Titanic proposals are often accompanied by press conferences, etc. If somebody has the money and the courage to do it, then they should just do it, and skip all the bluster.

A Titanic look-alike might attract some passengers from other luxury cruise lines, just due to the novelty of it. But what after the initial novelty wears off? How many cruises between Southampton and New York would be fully booked, other than the first one or two? How many people even want to sail between Southampton and New York? Maybe divert to the Caribbean in the winter, and compete with Disney? And Alaska in the summer? (Like other cruise lines.)

Of course, there is popular fascination with the original Titanic's legend. But might there be a bit of a stigma with a cruise ship of that same name and appearance? After we old goats take one trip, then what? Honeymoon on Titanic?

Now, big cruise ships frequent many of the same, old ports all over the world. I think many experienced cruisers are more interested in more exotic ports, visited primarily by smaller ships.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Doug,

Well said, I couldn't agree more. As you say, a Titanic II would be a novelty for some time, but eventually the novelty would wear off and if it doesn't serve some practical use besides being a novelty, it will end up losing money and plenty of it. Running a ship - even a small one - is extremely costly and therefore, so are the tickets. It would have to be pricey, then, to sail on Titanic II, and this economic climate of 2014, the vast majority of people don't have the money to splash around sailing on a boat which is a novelty, certainly not more than once anyway.

If they were going to do it, perhaps it would be better to build an exact replica which serves as a museum in a harbour somewhere, with interactive tours and what not - as opposed to something which is expected to sail the oceans as the original ship did. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Adam.