GRT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITANIC AND OLYMPIC

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi all,

Can anyone explain what accounted for the 1,004 grt increase in Titanic over Olympic? Since grt is a volume measurement and 1 grt = 100 cubic feet, then the volume difference was 100,000 cubic feet. I dont u derstand how this can be as Titanic and Olympic had the same external dimensions. I believe that grt referred to taxable volume, so did the inclusion of the Cafe Parisian and the Al la Carte Restaurant result in the 1,004 increase in grt for Titanic.

I am quite frankly confused over this and would value some explanations.

Best regards,

Ajmal

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Not sure if I get your question right, however Titanic had more rooms than Olympic mainly on B Deck. Aside from the enlargement of the A la Carte Restaurant she had the new Cafe Parisien as well as additional suites on B Deck which Olympic did not had. Olympic had also 1st class cabins but also an enclosed promenade on B Deck, on Titanic this promenade was removed by expanding the suites to the hull (and creating the 2 private promenades). If I remember right she also had a few rooms more on the lower deck (3rd class or crew, can not remember).

Reactions: 1 user

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi, thanks for this, so was it these changes that accounted for the tonnage increase for titanic over the olympic. The titanic had a deck forward promenade plated in and windows added so i presume that this added extra tonnage to titanic.

I also note from photos that the titanic had some plating and windows added to b deck promenade aft end of the deck whereas olympic has an open promenade in this area. You can see this if you look closely at pictures of the two sips broadside. So this bit of extra plating and windows would have also added tonnage to the titanic making it heavier than olympic.

Thanks for your answer,

Ajmal

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Gross tonnage is the amount of enclosed space. Since titanic rid of the b deck promenade space for extra rooms and such, it had a large enclosed space, so gross tonnage. This is what made Titanic the largest ship. These renovations also increased it's overall displacement ( the amount of water displaced by the ship, which is equal to the weight of the ship) but this was not the 46,000 tons we have all learned to think of - the 46,000 tons was gross tonnage. Cause u can weigh down a ship as much as u want but that weight means nothing if its not for passengers (at least in publications).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user