Guarantee Group boarding photo

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Hi,

Wondered if anyone knows if a final photo of the Guarantee Group boarding Titanic just before she sets sail was really taken, like at the end of the documentary drama 'Titanic Birth of a Legend'? Would love to see that if a photo does exist.

Also would someone confirm the number of men in the Gurarantee Group, I've heard ranges from 7-10, so just checking.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Kate

Attachments

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Hello again Kate,

There is unfortunately no picture taken of the guarantee group as they boarded the Titanic in Belfast. However 1 member of the guarantee group, the assistant manager electrical Department of Harland and Wolff William Henry Marsh Parr, was taken on the 11th on the gymnasium on boat deck on the electric horses.

1592663999518.png

This is his last picture among with Titanic her physical instructor Thomas McCawley.

The Harland and Wolff guarantee group on-board the Titanic when she left Queenstown existed out of 9 men selected by the Thomas Andrews Jr (with him included), they are listed here bellow with their ranks at Harland and Wolff:

Thomas Andrews Jr (1873-1912): Manager of the construction works, director of the drawing office and chief architect of Harland and Wolff (since June 1910) and head of the guarantee group traveling in first class.

Roderick Chisholm (1868-1912): Leading draughtsman of the Olympic class traveling in first class.

William Henry Marsh Parr (1882-1912): assistant manager electrical Department traveling in first class.

Anthony “Archie” Wood Frost (1874-1912): outside foreman Engineer traveling in second class

Robert/Thomas Knight (1869-1912): leading hand engineer traveling in second class

William Campbell (1891-1912): joiner apprentice traveling in second class

Alfred Fleming Cunningham (1890-1912): fitter apprentice traveling in second class

Francis Parkes (1890-1912): plumber apprentice traveling in second class

Ennis Hastings Watson (1893-1912): electrician apprentice traveling in second class

All the representatives/workmen of Harland and Wolff on-board had a complimentary ticket. However when she left Belfast a few more workmen and other representatives of the shipyard were onboard such as Edward Wilding of the drawing offices, Thompson Hamilton the sectary of Thomas Andrews and Joey Thompson who was a painter and decorator meant to give the Titanic a final touch before departing. All of them left in Southampton before or during the departure on the 10th of April.

I hope this may help.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

Reactions: 1 user

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Thanks so much for confirming Thomas.

A final photo of the Guarantee Group would have been nice, though we're so lucky to have all the photos we do. Great to know the actual number making up the group, I didn't know about the other representatives from Harland and Wolff being onboard, so I'll be researching some more now.

Enjoy your day and best wishes,

Kate

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
At one time this was alleged to be a photo of the Titanic guarantee group. Closer inspection of the photo reveals it to be Olympic not Titanic.
Olympic guarantee group.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Fabulous photo, thanks for sharing, Bob. Haven't seen this one before.

Have to ask, do we know if Thomas Andrews Jr. headed the guarantee group on Olympic's maiden voyage in June 1911 or if he was too busy working on preparing Titanic for her maiden voyage and someone else led the team?

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
While he was the head of the guarantee group during the Olympic her maiden voyage he was not the leading representative of the shipyard. The leading representative was in fact his uncle Lord William Pirrie, who was the president and chairman of the shipyard.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
If this is the Olympic guarantee group and if this is Olympic and if Andrews was a member of Olympic’s guarantee group then one would think Andrews would be in the photo. There is a possibility this could be Titanic’s guarantee group but there are a few things in the photo which suggest Olympic as a more likely candidate. I would think with all the documentation of Titanic’s passengers that they could be compared with these men. The other possibility is that this isn’t either of the guarantee groups at all.

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Yes, would expect Thomas Andrews to be in the photo. Can only think, if this is the guarantee group on either Titanic or Olympic, he was much too busy working to stop and join in for a photo.

Certainly looks like one of the Olympic class, perhaps someone can identify who we have here.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
If this is the Olympic guarantee group and if this is Olympic and if Andrews was a member of Olympic’s guarantee group then one would think Andrews would be in the photo. There is a possibility this could be Titanic’s guarantee group but there are a few things in the photo which suggest Olympic as a more likely candidate.
Great photograph Bob! Definitely Olympic.
If that is the guarantee group, no idea. Do you know the source for it?

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Ioannis: I got it from someone who is well known in the Titanic community. He wanted me to see what ship I thought it was. I have no idea where he got it.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Why? Do you think I don’t know my friend and what it means to put an unmarked photo on a public site? I don’t watermark my photos when I post them. If I don’t want them to be seen I don’t post them.

Last edited: