Guarantee Group boarding photo

Thomas Krom

Thomas Krom

Hello everyone,

The men who were part of the guarantee group on-board the Olympic her maiden voyage were the following men:

Traveling in first class:
  • Thomas Andrews Jr: master-shipbuilder and head of the guarantee group, he had the same position as on the Titanic during her maiden voyage
  • James Thompson Hamilton: Secretary of Thomas Andrews Jr.
  • James Buchannan (not to be confused with the 15th president of the United States of America): Draughtsman
  • Frank Johnston: Manager of the electrical works of Harland and Wolff
Traveling in second class:
  • Hugh Fitzpatrick (not the be confused with the future junior boilermaker on the Titanic with the same name): An long serving engine fitter
  • William Ravev: Plumber
  • Henry Patterson : Joiner
  • Atholl Blair: Apprentice fitter
  • Francis “Frank” Parkes: Apprentice plumber
  • Robert McGarry: Apprentice plumber
  • William Davidson: Apprentice joiner
  • Walter Brough: Apprentice electrician

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

Last edited:
Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Hello everyone,

The men who were part of the guarantee group on-board the Olympic her maiden voyage were the following men:

Traveling in first class:
  • Thomas Andrews Jr: master-shipbuilder and head of the guarantee group, he had the same position as on the Titanic during her maiden voyage
  • James Thompson Hamilton: Secretary of Thomas Andrews Jr.
  • James Buchannan (not to be confused with the 15th president of the United States of America): Draughtsman
  • Frank Johnston: Manager of the electrical works of Harland and Wolff
Traveling in second class:
  • Hugh Fitzpatrick (not the be confused with the future junior boilermaker on the Titanic with the same name): An long serving engine fitter
  • William Ravev: Plumber
  • Henry Patterson : Joiner
  • Atholl Blair: Apprentice fitter
  • Francis “Frank” Parkes: Apprentice plumber
  • Robert McGarry: Apprentice plumber
  • William Davidson: Apprentice joiner
  • Walter Brough: Apprentice electrician

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas
Why so many apprentices? Were they throwing them a bone for a job well done back in the yards? Were they grooming them for a better position later on? Curious.

Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

Why so many apprentices? Were they throwing them a bone for a job well done back in the yards? Were they grooming them for a better position later on? Curious.
Good question, maybe it just prepared them for better jobs, like you said.
I mean, I bet the apprentices planned to be just regular workers of whatever job they were apprenticing for.