Gun chase sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2007
a lot of people have complained about that the whole gun chase is irrelevent, because they think the sinking ship is scary enough. fair enough, i agree. but the thing is if u take out the gun chase down the staircase, then there is no explaination for jack and rose going down below. if u delete the gun chase then, u would've had 2 delete the dinging saloon and the locked behind the gates parts, because there is no reason why they are down there. my question is, does anyone have any other possible ideas of reasons/explainations why they end up down below?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The script writer's dramatic license should have been suspended! The whole chase sequence was unworthy of the subject. For a real giggle, turn off the sound and adjust your TV to black and white. It takes you back to the silent thrillers of long ago.

It could have been worse. Cameron cut a long sequence in which Lovejoy prowls the ship in pursuit of Jack and Rose. Watching the video about the production, I had the impression that he would have cut more on second thoughts.

Get over it. It's only a movie.

Sep 4, 2007
Maybe they added this to show the audience what it might have been like under the decks when the ship was almost under water. The desperation of the situation. And Mr. Andrews.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
Thankfully, I was in the very back row on the aisle when I saw this fluffed out piece of indulgence. The gun scene absolutely turned me against Cameron because it's gratuitous. I am sure the actors might have wished THEY were going to freeze to death instead of acting out this schlub.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Jonathan: Didn't you get the feeling that 99% of the movie was gratuituous? Try this- take your VHS copy of Titanic and remove a 20 minute random chunk. Then watch the film again. One suddenly realises that there is no actual plot, only a series of tenuosly related random incidents, and that the five or so minutes devoted to the sinking are the only frames of film in the entire 49 hours without which the film cannot function.

One wonders why, in prerelease stages, one heard the usual wheeze from the production team (that dates back, at least, to deMille and Stroheim and Gone With The Wind) about striving for 100% authenticity on what- in -fact- are trivial things ("Even the buttons on the actor's underwear are true-to-the-era, to help them with their characterization" etc etc yada yada)only to be shown a movie that contained plot devices that would have made 1912 audiences wince - did Cameron include Chained To the Pipe and Jack And Rose Trapped Behind A Gate After Being Chased Deep into A Sinking Ship By A Maniac With A Gun specifically to keep the onscreen cliches authentic to 1912? One wonders, too, in this context, why films get a "free ride" when it comes to stupidity (it's only a movie) that is not extended to other branches of the arts. Can't remember the last time I heard It's Only a Book surface in discusssion.

About the gun and gate incident, not only was it stupid on face value, but its placement in the film was stupid, too. One knew that there was over 7 hours running time left at that point and so, therefore, Jack and Rose had to escape. So, no suspense was possible. One knew, going into it, that somehow they would get past the gate (and that 30 seconds later they'd be photogenically touseled but otherwide dry)rendering the scene doubly pointless. Such interludes should be played, onscreen, by minor characters. Had Fabrizio and Anna and Frida and Bjorn and Benny been trapped behind that gate, the scene WOULD have worked because featured players and bit actors do not have to survive until the final ten minutes. So when confronted with locked gates they do not have the comfort of "We HAVE to live until the last reel" offered to Above the Title stars.

Mar 17, 2006
The whole thing about the Blue Diamond getting stolen, Jack getting handcuffed against a pipe, and eventually getting saved by Rose, was one of the scenes, that were basically taken scene-by-scene off the Nazi propaganda film "Titanic" (1943). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.