Guns found in the Debris Field

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
Considering that there were guns aboard Titanic, have any been found, or even recovered from, the debris field around the wreck?

I ask this because Lightoller mentioned in his memoirs that when he was swimming away from the sinking ship, the gun in his pocket slowed him down so he got rid of it, allowing it to fall to the seabed.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Not as far as I know. Any sort of handgun is a mighty small object to find and the Titanic is essentially a debris field the size of London's Hyde Park...without lighting. It would take the wildest stroke of luck to find even one of these weapons.

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
Not as far as I know. Any sort of handgun is a mighty small object to find and the Titanic is essentially a debris field the size of London's Hyde Park...without lighting. It would take the wildest stroke of luck to find even one of these weapons.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for answering my question.

I was just wondering about this particular topic. If any guns COULD be found, would it help in the mystery if any of them were fired in the night.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
There is no mystery about whether firearms were discharged that night. They most definitely were.

Whether anyone was killed or wounded by gunfire is another story. It is perhaps second only to that of "the ship that stood still" in terms of the great "mysteries of the Titanic".

The debate over whether anyone was actually shot and by whom has never really been a particularly productive one in my opinion, owing to problems with the descriptions, the reliability of the witnesses and the entrenched views of the latter day advocates both for and against which unfortunately has led to some people falling out over the topic. Recovering a firearm wouldn't solve this particular "mystery".

Last edited:

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I read up on the Webley revolver of the time. It held six bullets and the discharged shells remained in the chambers until all six were fired. Then the gun was "broken" and the spent shells were automatically ejected. If a partly discharged gun could be found it would provide evidence on the number of shots fired. The only definite evidence of a gun going to Davy Jones comes from Lightoller. Other guns could be in the wreck, having been held by Captain Smith and others.

Reactions: Michael H. Standart
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was just wondering about this particular topic. If any guns COULD be found, would it help in the mystery if any of them were fired in the night.<<

Like Seumas said, there's not much of a mystery here. That shots were fired, not once but several times, is a matter of recorded historical fact. Whether or not the bullets themselves when into somebody's ten ring or cranium, that's another matter entirely.

Nov 14, 2005
Well if you were to somehow find Lightollers Webley that went to the bottom it would'nt give any clues as to shots fired as he stated he never loaded his weapon. He kept the cartridges in his pocket. It might be somewhat preserved as he also stated when got them from the locker that they were covered in grease as the hadn't been used yet. Although that probably wouldn't be the case as there are microbes in the ocean that actually like oil and grease. I always liked the Webleys. I've seen a few but never owned one. The closest I had was an H&R 999 when I was a kid. It was a breaktop (like the Webley) 9 shot 22LR revolver. Wish I still had that one.