Gymnasium in 1986

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
Today, the gymnasium on the wreck of the Titanic has collapsed. But back in 1986, it was still upright. Although the ceiling had collapsed, JJ was able to peek through its windows and take photos of the inside, as illustrated here by Ken Marshal.
tumblr_mpa0pra93T1rr91rqo1_500.jpg

Some of these photos are published in "The Discovery of the Titanic" by Bob Ballard.

I have been frantically looking for digital versions of these photos to publish on the wikia, but I couldn't find anything. All I managed to scramble was a small clip from the "Secrets of the Titanic" documentary covering that expedition.

Titanic GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Does anyone know where I can find more of this? Video or photos?

Reactions: 1 user

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I had thought that the base of the second funnel smashed the gymnasium during its collapse. Perhaps it destroyed the roof and weakened it, causing it to cave in in the future?

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
In 1986 already, Ballard saw that at the breaking point, the decks had collapsed like pancakes on top of each other. Since then, the deterioration has moved towards the front, taking the gymnasium with it.

d4ff1a91261a6915b520ef7dd58516d9--titanic-wreck-titanic-ship.jpg

I am looking for pictures of the gymnasium before this happened. I know they exist because I saw them published in "The Discovery of the Titanic" and the film rel from "Secrets of the Titanic".

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I have The Discovery of the Titanic but the photos in it are too small to be worth scanning. They show the lever that worked the mechanical horse and a bit of the metal mesh that shielded it. You're not missing much.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
These are the pictures as I saw them in my copy of The Discovery of the Titanic.

20180503_185400.jpg

The reason I'm so eager to find these images is because, although it's not much, it's all we have seen from the gymnasium before it completely collapsed.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
That's not going to happen for quite some time. I read it may take decades.The wreck will eventually collapse from the inside leaving the outer shell. The bow is so stuck in the mud that it will hold the forward most part of that together. I don't think all this will happen in a year and half from now.