H&W plans for Titanic replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received in the mail copies of plans from Titanic Historical Society. These plans are of a liner which was never built, but designed by H&W and based on the Olympic class. (4 funnels, similar compartments/public rooms, etc.)

The Titanic Historical Society sells these plans on their web site--check it out if your not sure what I'm talking about--it will have you very curious...

Does anyone have any information on these plans or the ship it was supposed to be?

I'm aware of some of the proposals and some rumours that were floated at the time. Unfortunately, events caught up with White Star by way of the 1st World War and the severe restrictions and quotas on immigration which esentially killed that part of the trade. By the time White Star was in a position to build something, there was no longer a need. Especially with one of the German superliners being deeded to them as war reparations.

By the time there was a need to replace any of these ships, the Great Depression had thrown a monkeywrench in the works.

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly, the plans were made for a 1000 footer which was supposedly named Ceric.

However, WWI broke out and the plan died on the vine.

Are the plans on the THS website for the Ceric, or for the last Oceanic? Since THS claims the plans were done around 1927, I'd be inclined to think it was the latter.

Come to think of it, though, weren't four stackers pretty much out-of-vogue by then? Odd that the plans supposedly resemble the Olympic-class so strongly; you'd think that nearly twenty years of evolution in ship design would yield some major differences.

--Jim

Reactions: 1 user
>>Come to think of it, though, weren't four stackers pretty much out-of-vogue by then?<<

Yep, they were. IIRC the last four stack liner built was the Aquatainia.

"I seem to lean towards these plans being of a ship other than Oceanic III, as certain design elements seem to be very dated for the modern "cabin liner" approach that was used in the late 20s early 1930s--especially since this liner has four tall funnels which give the ship a strong resemblance to the Olympic-class.

However, with these plans being dated at 1927 I am totally baffled! The only explanation I could come up with is that these were plans for a separate ship; where WSL was possibly thinking they were going to need another large liner to replace the Britannic II. (?) Just a thought...

I do have to say that in looking at these plans, it's very interesting to see how liner design changed from before the War--or in some cases how it

>>IIRC the last four stack liner built was the Aquatainia.<<

The last four-stackers built were Union Castle's Arundel Castle and Windsor Castle, launched in 1919. (Although it ended its career as a two stacker after a 1937 refit!)

My guess for these plans is that they were of another liner they were planning to replace the Olympic but then decided it would be better to operate two smaller ships (the Britannic III and Georgic) instead of one large liner.

If anything, IIRC my impression was that White Star were looking for a replacement for the Homeric. For instance, in 1922 Olympic carried 39% of White Star's traffic on the express service, whereas Majestic had 37% (she was not in service for the entire year), and Homeric made do with the remainder. While a 'top boat,' Homeric was not suited to the service, as others have already made clear.

As of 1930, one paper estimated that Olympic would be retired in 1937 based on 25+ years' of service, whereas Majestic would have been retained until 1947. That being the case, in the mid-1920s I would assume that any large new liner would have been intended to replace Homeric, since although Olympic was the oldest it was envisaged that she would remain in service for a long time to come.

What would have happened after the Oceanic had been built is a very interesting topic.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.