H & W plans

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Sad news !

H&W Technical Services Ltd transfered all their plans to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. The UFTM is charging £25 more as "search fee" for any request/order concerning ship's plans !

Phil

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Considering the bad times that Harland & Wolff fell victim too, I wouldn't call this bad news. Quite the conterary. At least the plans still exist and are accessible. They could have ended up in a landfill somewhere like a lot of documents have over time.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I echo that Mike, I would rather pay for copies of the real thing then not have access to any of it. I can see why Ulster raised the price though, I would imagine that it would very time consuming and isn't Ulster a volunteer organization for the most part??

Anyway I am glad to see that the plans didn't get "deep sixed".

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
With a name and e-mail address, it least it'll be possible for others to check things out. The prices look to be about the same as what they were asking on their old website befor they were finally forced out of the shipbuilding business.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
I sincerely hope that the first person who actually orders and gets plans in hand will report their good fortune in this forum. I don't understand this "search fee". Don't they have a list of what they've got and how much each item costs to reproduce? I wouldn't send money to anybody other than UFTM. I'll believe
that they are actually making plans available when somebody reports success. Call me skeptical.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
The prices do seem rather exorbitant. This coupled with the dubious source of the plans (H&W) when we know they are at UFTM, both make me very suspicious.

Regards,
Bob Read

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Hey folks, I'm just reporting this. I will be getting at least two, and will report back, but it's gonna be a while.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Bob,

I too am mistrusting of this, especially as my requests for research materials on Titanic and Britannic seem to fall on deaf ears.

Best Regards,

Brian

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Brian, be my guest. I spent the last few months e-mailing alphabetically everyone there until I got this response. I make no guarantees and am certainly not responsible. I posted this information merely to announce that after much work, this is what I have recieved,nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps your calling this fellow would be in order?

Sep 13, 2003
Hi all
I am completely confused. How can this be so unstraight forward. I am interested in the plans but find some of them strange,e.g.

1 28Ft Motor Lifeboat Lines Plan - £75
2 30Ft Motor Lifeboat Lines Plan - £75

I take it these are/were for the Olympic/Brittanic? If this turns out to be real, I wouldn't mind buying a few myself. But would love to understand the situation of documents and plans between H & W and UFTM. Have some sympathy of the situation that H & W + UFTM find themselves in. They are probably constantly bombarded with requests by snail mail & emails regarding the Titanic, White Star, etc and both organizations are probably not in any position to deal with it. H & W would not regard it as a core part of their business & UFTM would simply not have any resources to deal with it. Anyway..

Regards

Rich

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Richard:
To my knowledge the only motor lifeboats used on any of the Olympic Class sisters were the 34 ft.
motor launches used on Britannic. The plans listed may have been used on later White Star Ships. The only thing I can tell you about ordering any plans is BEWARE. No one has yet established whether any of the plans held at UFTM
can indeed be purchased. If it is that hard to find out, something isn't right. That's why I still give my warning. If you can afford to lose the money then full speed ahead.

Regards,
Bob Read

Sep 13, 2003
Hi all
Thanks for that Bob, yes you are quite right, some caution is necessary.I will email the address supplied,with some questions, hopefully the gentlemen concerned has not received thousands of emails and is cursing the name Titanic!!!!!

I'm vaguely think it would be nice to have on E.T. a registry of all the plans that are known to exist (not the plans themselves) and there lineage. Like a biblography.
e.g.
1. "The 1911 Ship builder Olympic & Titanic plans"
2. "The Engineering" Olympic & Titanic plans

etc,etc

One weird omission that I have noticed on E.T. is that thought there are deck plans of the ship there is no side elevation profile.

Regards

Rich

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Richard:

The types of plans that exist can be categorized according to their intended purpose. Most of the plans reprinted in books are general purpose plans intended mainly to illustrate the layout of the ships. These are for folks who have a casual interest in the structure of the ships.

The H&W plans were plans actually used to produce the ship. These are for model builders and "rivet heads". The Hahn plans were taken in part from these and are intended for model builders. What the original plans don't show is the "as built" configuration. One of the aspects not shown in builders plans is all the ventilator placements. The determination of "as built" configuration requires a lot of study of photos and other sources. Hahn's plans are the best, so far, for the model builder wanting to build an "as built" Titanic.

There's not much use cataloging plans until the
status of the H&W plans is determined.

As far as an elevation of Titanic, which side would you use? Port and starboard had different window and door placements.

Regards,
Bob Read

Sep 13, 2003
Hi Bob
Since most of the elevations of the Titanic are of the starboard side, maybe the port side just to be different.

Regards

Rich

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
I have just received the plans, and they are indeed the construction plans for the ship - they are not the blueprints. As soon as my camera gets back up, I will attempt to inflict photos on you.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Lee:
Glad to hear you got your plans from H&W. For the benefit of others can you provide contact information (name of contact person, department,
address, etc.) so others could order plans?
Do they have some kind of listing of plans available? In an earlier post you listed some plans and prices. Usually H&W plans have their plans listed like: 400/01 lines plan. The number designation identifies the ship in question. Was this just a special favor for you or are they now capable of providing plans to the general public? What plans did you order?

Regards,
Bob Read

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Mr. Waddell at [email protected] is the current contact person for the plans. As far as I can tell, they are indeed providing these to the general public - it just took a little research to find out who to approach. The ones I have received are # 16, Forecastle and Poop Deck, and # 26, Promenade Deck House. They do indeed appear to be the real McCoy - the detail is incredible. By the kind permission of Mr. Waddell, I am reproducing bits of these blueprints here to prove their authenticity (in anticipation, no doubt, of further orders - I'm getting cynical in my old age.)

PromenadeBlueprints.jpg

BP3.jpg

BP2.jpg

Blueprints1.jpg

I apologize that the images aren't any larger, but that's all that the forum allows. If anyone wants more detail, I will be happy to provide pictures if you contact me individually.