H & W plans

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Were the General Arrangement Plans followed as gospel, or was there some wiggle room allowed? I know when we rent hotels for conventions they sometimes have several different furniture configurations possible - would they differ on the ship in summer and winter?

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Lee:
General Arrangement plans with this level of detail were drawn after the ship was constructed.
They reflected what was observed, not what had to be. Therefore, they (White Star) were free to move furniture around to please. The type of GA plans showing furniture were generally meant to be incorporated in part into
passenger brochures so that passengers could easily located specific rooms on the ship. Furniture, and its placement was provided to make reading the plans easier for the general
public. However they were not so precise so a passenger could use them to find the exact location of specific chair or table.

Regards,
Bob Read

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Thank you both for the recommendations - I already have Titanic and her Sisters: Olympic and Britannic, but shall be on the lookout for The Birth of the Titanic. I assume Amazon.com would be the best way to go.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
No problem. If you check Amazon or even Barnes & Noble from time to time, you might be amazed at just how many titles are at least extant, with a substantial number of them available. As to whether some are actually worth the paper they're printed on....well....that's the debate!

Jul 7, 2002
Ok, now I'm confused. On Aug. 13, 2003 I received and e-mail from David Waddell of H&W -- the same guy Lee bought his plans from -- which said:

H&W's archives are held by a local museum called the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra. They keep our plans & photographs safe for future generations.​
They can be contacted through their web site. Hope this information will be of help to you​

What gives?

BTW, as I have posted elsewhere, UFTM was less than helpful. What am I doing wrong?

Cathy

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Cathy, I haven't the slightest. I just ran through names until I got the right response. Very odd that you contacted the same person and got such a different response. Perhaps the fact that I explained I wanted to post said plans here might have made the difference, although for the life of me I can't see why.

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Cathy:
I was afraid of this. I think we have to go back to assuming that the plans are not available.

Regards,
Bob Read

Aug 10, 2002
Cathy:
I e-mailed Dave Waddell looking for Capacity Plan and Hydrostatic curves. He replied that he didn't have such plans and was sorry he couldn't be of help. I've since e-mailed him asking if he knew where I might find such plans, I'll share my answer with you.
Off to NE Regional Archives in NY, then Titanic at Franklin Institute. I'll keep you posted.
Regards,
Charlie

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Off to NE Regional Archives in NY, then Titanic at Franklin Institute. I'll keep you posted. <<

Charlie, by chance will this lead to the results of the inclining experiment that seems to have gone AWOL over the years? I'd love to know things like the righting arm and all that, especially when compared to other ships of the time. (Hmmmmmmmmm...you might even get another article out of that for publication!)

Aug 10, 2002
Mike:
I'm pawing through the Limitation of Liability Papers. If I find anything on the Inclining Experiment I'll let you know. I did find an interesting photo of the ice field from the morning after, the last time I was there. I'm looking for Capacity Plan and Hydrostatic Curves so I can do some trim calculations.
Regards,
Charlie

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Lee,

After your success in obtaining the drawings you have, I sent an e-mail to David Waddell inquiring about a few of the sheets that are on the list he gave you, and for information such as how to go about ordering, method of payment, etc. That was a bit over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive even a short reply. Between this and the reply Cathy received, it does sort of make one wonder what the heck is going on over there!

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Jul 7, 2002
Hi everyone,

Lee and Scott, I specifically asked about the specs book E&H descibed (which is probably for Britannic and in a private collection), but I was very specific. I even included the description and a long quote from E&H and cited their book.... so H&W sent me Thomas Andrews' notebook. Yes, it's interesting, but not worth L75/$125 AND I already had a copy.

When I returned the notebook and asked if that was the only thing H&W still had on the Olympic class ships, I got the reply I quoted from Mr. Waddell.

As Mike pointed out, the UFTM site no longer exists. I think the link was out of date when I received it a year ago.

Considering this was all right after H&W's "downsizing" I am trying to be patient, but like the rest of you I wonder what the heck is going on there!

(I'll stop ranting now.)

Cathy

Jul 7, 2002
Hi Charlie,

Off to NE Regional Archives in NY, then Titanic at Franklin Institute. I'll keep you posted.​

I look forward to hearing all about it!

Have fun,

Cathy