Hafen der Hoffnung Harbour of Hope 2008

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
What follows has been translated from an online press release article. The translation was done using Babel Fish and I have corrected what I can with my limted knowledge of German. Apolgies in advance for the things that don't read well.

I have one of Herr Schön's books and what I understand tells me this could be quite a film.....

HARBOUR OF HOPE:
The last voyage the Wilhelm Gustloff

in co-production with the Second Channel of German Television,
in co-operation with Second Channel of German Television Enterprises
Format TV Event
length in min 180'
production company UFA film production GmbH

Filmed on Location Stralsund, Leipzig, Berlin, Cologne; Malta; Hamburg, Penemuende
authors Rainer Dr. Berg
direction Joseph Vilsmaier
Camera Joseph Vilsmaier
Producer Norbert Sauer
Producer Cornelia bell
Editorship Klaus Bassiner
Production manager franc Maehr
Manufacture leader Michael Wintzer
Press support Claudia Goettler

on 12 March 2007 begin the UFA film production (producer Norbert sour) with the turning work to the spectacular two-divisor: "port of hope: the last travel the William Gustloff "under the direction of Joseph Vilsmaier for the Second Channel of German Television. The historical Event Zweiteiler takes up the shaking fate of humans on board the refugee ship "William Gustloff" that in January 1945 tried to bring thousands refugees before the moving forward Red Army in security. At this time ten thousands humans in Danzig bay waited for their evacuation over the Baltic Sea, because only this way was still possible. On 30 January the "Gustloff" put direction down the west in the today Polish Baltic Sea port Gotenhafen (Gdynia). On board the completely overfilled ship were more than 10,000 humans. Were Mrs., children, wounded, in addition, soldiers of a submarine training division. All were not overjoyed one of the desired places to have on board ergattert and still suspected anybody, which fate the former presenting ship of the "strength by joy" - fleet to be approaching should. In the evening of the same day three torpedoes of a Russian submarine hit the ship and the Gustloff sank within only a bit more than one hour. Approximately 9300 humans died in the ice-cold Baltic Sea, only approx.. 1200 humans survived. It was the largest ship disaster of the history of the navigation. The preparations for the complex two-divisor already are in the full course, then one develops approximately 60 meters for a long time and ten meters high mock-up of a ship’s wall of the "Gustloff", further scenes in Cologne, Leipzig, Berlin and Malta is filmed in Stralsund.
The filming will continue to 16 June. The film script wrote Dr. Rainer Berg, Heinz Schön as a technical adviser and survivor of the Gustloff of the disaster.

"port of hope: the last travel the William Gustloff "is a UFA film production for the Second Channel of German Television. Producer is Norbert sour, Producerin Cornelia bell. The editorship in the transmitter is with Klaus Bassiner and Elke Mueller.

....any thoughts?

Martin

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The Germans had recently slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Russian civilians - to this day, we do not know how many Russians were killed in WWII, but 25,000,000 seems to be the widely accepted figure. What incentive was there for the commander of the Russian submarine to show mercy?

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
If they even stick close to the facts, and the Germans are good about that, then it will be a very gritty film, as many were trapped inside and went down with the ship.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Yes Will,
click on Promaden on th 3D interactiv and you will get a sense of this.
On the Kommandobruck you will see 3 captains arguing about whether to turn on the navigaqtion lights or not and a junior officer not knowing who to obey

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If they even stick close to the facts, and the Germans are good about that, then it will be a very gritty film, as many were trapped inside and went down with the ship.<<

Or even if they don't stick close to the facts. It's not very easy to put a pretty face on a sinking that kills thousands of people.

Oct 16, 2008
Well, murdering civilians is an awful thing no matter who did what first.

Anyway, it could be a good film. Heavy stuff. Like "Der Untergang". Or, if they still have this hang to turn everything to a threesome-drama, it will end up like "Dresden" and be horrible. (Dresden was another murder of civilians when the Germans had lost already, but that debate is for other forums).

Per E

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well, murdering civilians is an awful thing no matter who did what first.<<

Yes it is. I can understand why the Russian skipper did it and I suspect any one of them would have taken the shot. The Russians weren't about to forget Stalingrad and they were out for some serious payback.

That doesn't mean I spprove. I don't, but I do understand it.

Oct 16, 2008
One can also assume that a submarine captain just sees a ship, a number of GRT which he can send to the bottom and get credit for it. After all, its a submarine captains job to sink enemy ships no matter what it contains. And yes, I would also do the same thing in his position. As we are into other ship films, I have to mention Das Boot, the german submarine movie from 1980. Great movie.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>One can also assume that a submarine captain just sees a ship, a number of GRT which he can send to the bottom and get credit for it.<<

There is that, but to a Russian skipper, the swastika waving from the flagpole would be like waving that red cape in front of an enraged bull, and the Russians were pretty enraged. Once they got their act together, the only thing stopping them from driving the Germans into the Atlantic Ocean was the other allied armies marching in from the west.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Should be noted that the forces coming in from the west had greatly diminished the German capacity, esp. the day & night air campaigns. The Russians may have eventually prevailed, but it would've been an even uglier fight than it already was. As to the sinking, you bet baby, pure payback!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The Russians may have eventually prevailed,<<

More like would have eventually prevailed. They were plenty honked off and once they got industrial production going, they became essentially unstoppable. The Germans couldn't even hope to match the avalanch of men and materials that were headed towards them.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand