Halley's Comet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Kappes

Aug 17, 2009
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
According to Pellegrino's book Her Name,Titanic, Halley's Comet seems to have brought bad luck to Earth during its last two appearances in the 20th century. In 1910, it could be seen from Belfast where the Titanic was under construction (Thomas Andrews observes it; this scene also appeared in the documentary film Titanic: Birth of a Legend) and in 1986, it appeared the year the space shuttle Challenger exploded.

I wonder what bad event will happen in the world in 2061 when Halley shows up again. :p

Pellegrino also notes that both the Titanic and the Challenger met with disaster in different ways because of ice.

Nov 14, 2005
I think Pellegrino had a chapter to fill up. Olympic was being built during that same time period so it must have been good luck to her then since she didn't sink. Also Halley's Comet was in the sky during the year of the Battle of Hastings 1066. Bad luck for King Harold but good luck for William the Conqueror.
P.S...One of my grandfathers got to see it twice...once as a 10 year old and once as 86 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I don't believe in the comet bad luck nonsense but this part of your post interested me. Back in 1994 I met a lady patient (then 91 years old) who clearly recalled seeing the Halley's Comet in 1910 (as a 7 year old with her father, who told her details about it) and again in 1986. In fact, she believed that she was lucky to have been one of the very few to have seen it twice.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
Thats cool that you got to talk to her. I always like talking to older people than me about their experiances. From what I remember ( not sure if he said it or someone else) the 1910 episode was a lot brighter than 86. But still cool to see it twice. I'm sure in 2061 a lot more peole will have seen it twice. Because 1. people live longer and 2. when my grandfather was born they were 1.5 billion people on the planet by 1986 over 5 billion. Now 7.5 and by 2024 5 years from now were supposed to go over 8 billion.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Thats cool that you got to talk to her. I always like talking to older people than me about their experiances. .
Same here and as a doctor for more than 40 years, I have often used opportunities to chat to older patients about various issues like the Depression, WW2, and so on. Halley's Comet had a particular fascination for me since I was a kid and I felt that I would be lucky if I met someone who had seen it twice. As mentioned above, I finally did in 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.