Hands off the Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
Off the top of my head, she used Edith Russell, William Stead, Alfred Nourney (with that little tidbit of his possible impotency), John Jacob Astor, and I think Archibald Gracie, though I could be wrong on that. But I do remember Lawrence Beesley being in there too.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Yes, Gracie and Beesely. Also examined was the handwriting of Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon, Margaret Brown, Futrelle, Antoinette Flegenheim, Eugene Daly, and Edward Ryan. Plus on the crew (or employee) side, Smith, Ismay, William Faulkner, Thomas Andrews, Lightoller, Boxhall, McElroy, Fleet, and many. many more. Also people like Stanley Lord, Arthur Rostron, President Taft, Winston Churchill.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Wait, wait, wait...There's a book where somebody analyzes Beesley? I would be VERY grateful to hear more about this.

Best regards,
Cook

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Pat:
I would have thought you had this one. But then again there's not much here. O'Hara doesn't have much to work with on Beesley's handwriting -- relying on one document he signed in 1963 at the age of 87. Here, without editorial comment, is her analysis:

"Though still alert, it would appear from certain letter formations (notably the pointed top of the lower case 'l'), that he had experienced much emotional stress and physical pain. It was as if the events of that April night so many decades earlier were still fresh in his mind."
"Even in his advancing years, Beesley was still the sort of man who liked to behave in an organized and disciplined way. The small middle zone and sharp outlines harp back to the scientific leanings of his youth...."

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Thanks, Mike, for the info. No, I don't have this book and, until this post, had never heard of it in connection with Beesley. You're right; we could've probably come up with these deductions without even looking at his handwriting.

Minor nitpick of the day: in 1963, Lawrence Beesley was 85 years old.

Best regards,
Cook

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Tracy:
There is one whole chapter devoted to analyzing Lord's handwriting. Ms. O'Hara reviews samples of his writings from 1912 and 1957. She also evaluates Lord's son, Stanley Lord. Drop me a line and I'll arrange to get you photocopies.
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.