HANS HEDTOFT Has anyone located or searched for the wreck since 1959

A

Adam Carson

Only recently did I learn of this tragic event and my heart went out to the crew and passengers for the frustration they must have experienced in probably not being able to even launch the lifeboats. Has Cussler, Ballard or anyone else searched for the wreck and or found it...and if no search why not?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As far as I know, the ship simply disappeared without a trace. If you go to This Website you'll find what little is known about the incident. To my knowladge, the wreck has never been located. Given the stormy conditions at the time and the short span of time in which this occured, it's extremely unlikely that any of the boats were launched. If any were, the Atlantic swallowed them up, but I doubt we'll ever know unless somebody actually manages to find the wreck. There are some secrets that the ocean just doesn't give up.

A

Adam Carson

Thanks for the info and the link Michael. I've lurked on this board for some time now and thoroughly enjoy the wealth of information that you and some other very knowledgeable posters have provided.

T

Thomas de Richelieu

A danish led operation is preparing to and search for the wreck in the summer of 2004. The deep wreck exploration expedition is performed by the diving company No Limits Diving (Denmark). The exped can be followed on www.nolimitsdiving.dk
In 2002 the company made a 50th anniversary diving expedition to the wreck of the SS Flying Enterprise, sunk in the Channel in 1952.

T

Thomas de Richelieu

Hi Martin,

thanks for your comment on my company website. The Flying Enterprise was a great expedition, and we became the first danish divers to dive the wreck. As an added bonus we did also solve the mystery why Carlsen stayed on his ship.

Now I'm looking forward to the Hedtoft Expedition and another great adventure.

Regards
Thomas

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
The 'Hans Hedtoft' was a Danish cruise ship that, in January 1959, set out on its maiden voyage (sound familiar?) from Greenland (a Danish dependency) bound for Copenhagen. It struck an iceberg along the way (getting creepy now). The ship was lost with all hands (95 people). The only piece of wreckage was a lifejacket found in Iceland 9 weeks later. I find this to be an amazing parallel to the Titanic. Don't think so yet? Add this: Both ships were viewed as unsinkable by the public.
------------------------
"What do you see?"-Sixth Officer James Moody

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Thanks Michael , i do agree with your words and its a shame that such a mystery is pretty much not even known outside the maritime circles.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Yeah, I've seen that Wikipedia page before (I'm a respected member there with over 2,000 edits). He was a pretty charismatic guy. Solid leader. What a shame that a liner named after him would disappear with nearly 100 people on it. This is a tragedy that definitely deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.