Happy Birthday Millvina Dean (February 2)

May 1, 2004
Happy Easter, Ms. Dean.
I knew a lady born exactly one month before Ms. Dean - Jan. 6, 1912. She poofed at my Titanic obsession, saying that I got interested in the silliest things. "Why in the world should it matter to you that I was born before Titanic sank? I can't remember it. I can't remember anyone talking about it until that movie came out. It didn't start a war, did it? It didn't change the world. Now, World War II. That makes sense to study. There are lessons to learn from it. All these different nationalities getting in each other's hair. Atomic bombs. That's what you should worry about. You have to live with it, so we don't have another war like that one. Titanic's just a ship that sank long ago."

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Thanks for that information, Brian.
I hope Millvina will be enjoying a pleasant Easter Sunday.

Brian: Best Wishes to You and your family for a Happy Easter, too.

Sep 26, 1999
Millvina is bored? My goodness, she is going to have to do something to change that. Were the reporters not calling her this year wanting to know her first hand account of the Titanic sinking? Not even a sentence mention in our paper this morning. Next year maybe be different being the 95th anniversary. Happy Easter Millvina, we all love you!

Sep 26, 1999
As far as Millvina signing all those photos and such, I hope she is getting paid very well for doing that. I know if I was getting paid for my autograph, I would be be signing my name on everything myself.

Jun 16, 2003
Millvina told me that nowadays she tries to dedicate whatever she is signing so that rip off merchants (my words) don't pull a fast one. Naturally her signature alone is worth far more than if she signs 'To NAME with best wishes Millvina Dean' etc.

It's a pity people are prepared to squeeze money out of her like that but the Titanic will always mean £££ to someone out there...

I have to say that the day I met her in 1999 changed my life. I wrote my first book (and had it published) because I was inspired by her story. Since then I have been delighted to meet up with Millvina every year for a chat. A lovely lady and a real Titanic Ambassador.

Henry Loscher

Mar 6, 2003
Palm Harbor, Florida
>Anthony, I also have met Millvena on a number of occasions. Here is a story about her that members may not know. There was a Titanic exhibition here in St. Petersburg, Florida some years ago. I was invited to the pre-opening on the Friday before the public opening on the next day, Saturday. A number of well know Titanic celebraties were there including George Tulloch and Millvena Dean. She was the featured speaker. At the conclusion of her talk she said there was one thing she learned from the Titanic disaster. That was that she would not have ice cubes in her drinks. Of course, the audience erupted with laughter. Several years ago I met up with Millvena at the British Titanic Society convention. I reminded her of the St. Petersburg incident and asked her if she was pulling our legs over the ice cube story. With a straight face she replied that ice cubes in drinks gave her an instant headache. What a sense of humor and so quick. I wonder if she was not pulling my leg on this one.

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the story.

Regards, Henry Loscher

Jun 16, 2003
What a charming story Henry. It sounds so typical of Millvina to say something like that. I spoke to her tonight and she was in good spirits although she isn't as mobile as she wishes she could be. However, considering her age, she's doing remarkably well!

Thanks for taking the time to post your anecdote. Much appreciated.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Best Wishes are sent from all around the world:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MILLVINA DEAN!!!!

"CHEERS"!!!

"FOR SHE'S A JOLLY GREAT LADY!!! AND SO SAY ALL OF US"!!!!

HAPPY 95th!!!

Everyone: Be sure and raise a toast to this wonderful lady, and please keep her in your thoughts and prayers!!

Here in Southern California, my family has just toasted this great lady (with my favorite brand of house white wine):
"TO MILLVINA"!!!

Brian: I hope everyone makes this a joyous day for her.

Apr 27, 2003
News of Millvina Dean
My wife and I visited Millvina this morning and found her up and in her chair and very alert and looking forward to 'her' day.
Three lovely lots of flowers had already arrived and there was a large pile of cards and packages waiting for her attention while we were there the pile of cards kept being added to so there must have been 60 - 70 plus.
She opened a few of her parcels and cards while we were there and was delighted with the contents.
We all had a good chat and put the world to rights and we left after an hour or so that she could have her lunch in peace. Several more visitors were scheduled for the rest of the day so she was going to be a busy and exhausted girl.
We were told that the nursing home staff had provided a special birthday cake for her and that she was being taken down to the main recreation room this afternoon for a bit of a party.
The cards and flowers came from many countries and truly the wishes and greetings to Millvina were world wide - on her behalf we thank you all.

Brian and Janet Ticehurst

Nov 10, 2006
To Millvina:
Wishing you a Beautiful 95th Birthday on this February 2, 2007. May you have sunshine, flowers and love of family and friends and wonderful memories on this > your special day.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Brian and Janet
Thanks for the update on Millvina and remembering her in a tasteful and respectful way. It sounds like she had a good time.
Mike

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Happy (late) birthday Millvina! 95 years of an amazing life!

I hope she's fine and I wish her all the best.

Sincerely,
João Martins