Harland and Wolff

Jul 4, 2007
Hello, now that Harland and Wolff, shipbuilders to the world, and most importantly remembered for the construction of the RMS Olympic, Titanic and HMHS Britannic, has ceased operations, could anyone tell me where to find in print (or describe in writing) what the house flag (burgee) looked like (shape, colors, etc).

Could someone also point me in the correct direction to find a list of ships that were constructed by H&W in their Glascow, Scotland facility. I have a ship plate from that facility but no ship for which it was intended is identified by name or hull number.

Thanks,

Bruce Tompkins
WSL1869@aol.com

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Bruce,

Do you mean the H&W bourgee, or the White Star Line bourgee?

And are you sure they're out of business? I just bought some stuff from them last month.

Glasgow facility? ???! I hadn't even heard of that one! Is it still there? Or is THAT the one shutting down? I've only ever contacted the Belfast, Ireland facility.

Best regards!
John.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I'm surprised that with all the books written about Titanic that none have been written about the history of Harland and Wolff

Oh, but there has been. Shipbuilders to the World, a company history to 1986, is a wonderful, detailed history of H&W. It includes a list of all H&W ships, including those built at the Glasgow facility.

Jul 4, 2007
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the information. I'll try to locate a copy of the book, but according to the Titanic booksite, it is very scarce, which usually translates as very expensive when available. Since you are familiar with the book, does it have a picture (or description) of the H&W house flag (burgee)?

S

Scott R. Andrews

Bruce,

The H&W house flag can be found in color photos in either of the following books:

"The Discovery of the Titanic" by Dr. Robert Ballard; pgs. 84 and 85

"Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner" by Susan Wels; pg. 116.

Regards,

Scott Andrews

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks Scott,

It appears that the H&W house flag is rectangular as opposed to the WSL swallowtail shape. It would be quite a challenge to make one; maybe I won't add that to my project wish list after all.

Best regards,
Bruce

john moffett

Jan 11, 2009
I served my apprenticeship in harland and wolff,as a welder the first 2years were spent in what was known as the main or queens yard,i worked several times on the slipway that titanic was built on,I already had an interest in the ship and the sense of history i felt was tremendous.I was able on occasions able to go through the main drawing offices where she was designed.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a thread in the "Titanic Movies" topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing H&W. MAB]