Harland & Wolff Titanic Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith R E Hall

as far as i know the plans are for only the olympic class vessels. i will try and find info on the other vessels if i find anything i will let you know. Micheal don't worry it is just the remark posted by bob read which basicly calls me a liar. Harland and wolf have told me that they still hold the original blueprints and that thy will contact their archive department and will advise me accordingly

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Keith, the reality is that Harland and Wolff turned over their reamining plans, papers, etc to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum a couple of years ago. We've been aware of this for quite some time now

You may find it useful to know that the membership here includes a number of bona fide historians and researchers who are very well connected to find out this sort of thing. Short of that, a lot of people here do keep up with the news. I would submit that if you're not the one telling tall tales...and I'm perfectly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt...then somebody is telling them to you.

Beware.

K

Keith R E Hall

It is very strange that harland and wolf told me that they still hold the originals but it is possible that they may have been passed on to the Ulster Folk Transport Museum. I will find out when they contact me. It may be that the person i spoke to was unaware that the plans have been passed on.

Jul 7, 2002
Keith,

It may be that the person i spoke to was unaware that the plans have been passed on.

That is very likely. When I was trying to get info from H&W last year, it was obvious that the person I was dealing with had no idea what was going on. The folks here at ET knew much more about H&W's archives than that employee did! If you're willing to listen, you'll find lots of good information and advice here from people who have lots of experience researching Titanic and her sisters.

Best wishes,

Cathy

K

Keith R E Hall

Thanks cathy. If i can get hold of a complete set of blueprints for titanic then i would be over the moon. i will post the reply i get from harland and wolf when i recieve it. And again many thanks.

S

Susan Leighton

Michael,
you said:
" I have experience steering a 12,000 ton warship with twin screws and a single rudder."
I thought you said you worked in 'ship stores' when you were enlisted in the Navy....they let you steer the ship?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yep...they let me steer a ship. The Officer Of the Dack gave the orders, and I made it happen. It wasn't very difficult in my opinion, but you do have to be alert to stay on top of things and hold your course. Don't let my rather humble rate fool you. Navy men (And women) wear a lot of hats that frequently have little to do with their specialty.
wink.gif

One little correction seems to be in order as a Whidbey Island class LSD has two rudders!

S

Susan Leighton

I was just messin' with you Mike....From my years at Charleston Naval Shipyard Radiological Control Office, I KNOW that US Navy personnel are ALL highly skilled, extremely dedicated, and smart as a whip.

Mar 18, 2000
And we let Mike steer the simulator in Maine! A good stand-in for QM Hichens!

(but maybe lucky for him we *didn't* get out in that lifeboat?)
happy.gif

Jul 7, 2002
Bill,

Unlike Hitchens, I'm sure Mike would have the good sense not to scare his passengers into a mutiny. Maybe we'll get the chance to prove it at the next Symposium.
happy.gif

Best wishes,

Cathy

Mar 18, 2000
Cathy - hahahaha!

I sure hope so - anything to get out on the water! And maybe we'll get another lifeboat drill next year in Toledo!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Unlike Hitchens, I'm sure Mike would have the good sense not to scare his passengers into a mutiny. Maybe we'll get the chance to prove it at the next Symposium.<<

I don't know about that. I can be pretty blunt when I have to be. I wouldn't whip up a frenzy...but go back to a screaming mob in the water? Fergedaboudit! I would have waited a spell. Rather a cold hearted way of doing business, but it avoids adding to the body count in the long haul.

Bill...is there another Toledo gathering in the works? If so, I have to be really careful to husband my cash. I'm trying to avoid using credit cards wherever possible.

Mar 18, 2000
Mike - Dave is really the one to ask about Toledo. At this point, I am assuming (and hoping) that's where next year will be. I think he mentioned it before.

Nov 6, 2004
Reading this board I’ve found out the General Arrangement plans of Titanic I acquired from H & W a few years back (fortunately not for $75) were done early in the design process. I was wondering at what stage these were drawn up and if there was ever a “final” GA before the sinking.

Differences with the finished vessel include the “Restaurant Promenade” and the orientation of the Turkish Bath. I think another thread mentioned the G-deck “Third Class Open Berths” may not have existed as such on the ship (?). Pointing out any other major inaccuracies would be greatly appreciated.

I thought it was interesting that the two A-deck staterooms in the aft Grand Staircase area are indicated on these early plans but not on the December 1911 Plan of First Class Accommodation. Thank you for any responses.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
As usual I can't speak for Titanic but in general the shipbuilder is contracted to supply the owner with final Profiles, GA's and Details along with all the hydrostatic data required to work the ship.

In the present case these must have resided in the White Star archive at some time and may still be available from some source or other. Maybe others can point you in the right direction.

Noel

Sep 28, 2002
Northern Ireland
The builders will always keep plans as well. Harland & Wolff have always been secretative about Titanic until several years ago. They have all the plans, unfortuntely there is only 80 people working there at the moment. There are working on two exploration drilling platforms at the moment. The plans are in Belfast or within a short distance of Belfast.

Jim Carlisle

Nov 6, 2004
Thank you, Noel and James, for your responses. I apologize for my delayed reply; I've been engrossed in changing operating systems.

From what your posts detail, there likely was a later GA than what Harland & Wolff were selling in the late '90s. Maybe it was lost or not in a condition to be copied. A "final" H & W GA may have been published somewhere (other than the Limitation of Liability plans, as these were released belatedly), but I haven't seen one in the limited number of sources I have perused.

Any posts listing more significant differences in the early GA and the "completed" Titanic (like public rooms, entire sections, etc. such as were mentioned in my 8 December query) are definitely welcome. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.