Harold Bride And The Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2000
Jemma: I don't know if this may help you, but I found that http://www.allbooks4less.com/ab4l/ -- a U.S. discounter -- has Wyn Wade's book (the 1992, revised edition) in stock for $4.98 (retail $13.95). The down side there is, with overseas shipping you wouldn't actually save anything. (But if you have trouble finding it, it at least wouldn't cost you any more than regular retail, even with basic shipping.)

Just search keyword Titanic there.

Cheers,
John Feeney

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
John - as long as he wore the wig and gown, Mersey would look curiously at home in a circus parade!

Will have to have a stickybeak again for that passage re. Smith securing a better compensation deal for the crew - have been intending to cross reference the date of that with the date of an incident in Washington involving crew survivors. Don't know if you've come across this, but at one point a group of crewmen, sightseeing in the city, ran out of funds and decided to take their grievances to a newspaper office. Spokesperson, none other than Fleet, outlined their plight - they'd gone to have a bit of a look about and run out of money. Crew scuttlebutt had it that funds had been donated for the benefit of the crew, but Lightoller was holding on to them. Ostensibly the visit to the newspaper offices was to find a contact for the fund, but I'd say they weren't inclined to say 'no' to a bit of publicity for their plight.

Now that's an area I've only touched upon in the past, yet I've already witnessed a few times the importance of the more reputable newspaper accounts in corroborating the actual verbiage of some portions of the testimony

It can be both enlightening and frustrating to run the comparisions - in some instances, such as the example of Moore that you cite, a misunderstanding or type can be cleared up. In most instances where the print media differed with the transcripts I've gone with the official version (even if there was only one harried stenographer...did they ever bring in others? Can't recall). We do know, however, that not everything made it into the official version - Wade drew attention to Smith's instruction to omit Pitman's breakdown. There's also a rather acrimonious exchange between Lowe and Smith which, as reported, doesn't seem to be recorded in a recognisable form in the transcripts. Either the reporters became creative, or perhaps Smith decided it was somewhat beneath the dignity of a Senatorial inquiry for a bit of quibbling to go into the official record.

Where the newspapers are invaluable - and as Wade utilised them - is in at least giving us an impression of tone and physical gesture. I think we've all bemoaned the difficulties of 'reading' the text of what were verbal utterances. I like, for example, the report of Ismay's reaction to the version Lowe gave Smith of his 'unparliamentary' language - apparently, he looked rather relieved. I've long suspected that Lowe said something rather stronger than 'If you'll get the hell out of this...', and if the story is accurate Ismay was expecting Lowe to say something even less appropriate for the Palaces of Westminster.

~ Inger

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Jemma - I'd investigate John's lead if I were you, or ask your local bookshop to order a copy in. Had a scout around Charring Cross today and didn't turn up a copy (quite frustrating, considering some of the tripe that they have on the shelves). If all else fails, I can loan you my copy.

~ Inger

Sep 20, 2000
as long as he wore the wig and gown, Mersey would look curiously at home in a circus parade!

Hi, Inger: And don't forget -- "marching to the beat of the band" in that wig and gown. ;^)

(I always remember that piece from Wade's book. While I don't doubt its veracity -- and it's admittedly touching in its own way -- it is a bit corny. But playing "fill in the blanks" there with Lord Mersey just seemed too outrageous to resist.)

You know, it's hard to believe Bigham was actually 72 years old at the time of the Inquiry! I just caught his 1840 birth year the other day. I would have sworn from the *contemporary* photos I've seen -- his formal portrait is obviously younger -- that he was at most in his late 50's to early 60's.

Anyway, I'm way off Jemma's topic here. But if the inclination strikes you at some point, I'd love to see some of those newspaper transcriptions. Been wanting to get back into Philadelphia for some library work myself. (I have to admit, I still believe the Inquisitor has the "right of way" in matters of overall testiness, but not having actually seen those quips, I'll reserve judgment.)

Oh, sorry I didn't respond sooner; been having some renewed difficulties connecting.

Cheers,
John

Sep 20, 2000
I've long suspected that Lowe said something rather stronger than 'If you'll get the hell out of this...', and if the story is accurate Ismay was expecting Lowe to say something even less appropriate ...

Now *that's* an interesting addition! I always wondered why they made such a fuss about the language ultimately revealed. But then I just chalked it up to "different times", as presumably illustrated by Gracie's polite paraphrases (p. 166) -- "G--d d--n" and "d--- glad". (Hmmm!)

Fred Fleet, of course, had good reason to be somewhat bitter about remuneration. After all, while other crew members were getting to play "cashier" in one of the department stores (and pocketing the proceeds by the store's own design), he apparently was stuck testifying. ;^)

I can't recall exactly where, but I believe I found that anecdote in "Titanic Voices". (Wade *may* cover it.) But no, I hadn't heard about that trip to the papers. Interesting!

Cheers,
John

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Since Wyn Craig Wade has done such a fine job of writing the American Inquiry from William Alden Smith's point of view, it would be fascinating to have the flip side-- the same subject, written from the crew's point of view. It would necessarily have to be undertaken by a person on the eastern side of the pond, since that's where the primary sources would be. Any takers?

Pat W

Status
Not open for further replies.