Harold Lowe Article in Signals Magazine

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The new issue of Signals (Number 81, Dec 2007 - Feb 2008), the journal of the Australian National Maritime Museum, has published an article I've written on Harold Lowe. The focus of the piece is on his Australian connections, both pre- and post- Titanic, illustrated with photos from the Lowe family collection. A few people have expressed interest in getting hold of a copy - it can be purchased directly from the ANMM store - I understand the cost is A$4.95 + postage and handling. You can contact the store through the website:

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=630&areaId=1&t=shopBrowse

As usual, there are excellent articles relating to Australian maritime history, including a piece on Conrad in Australia commemorating the 150th anniversary of hs birth, the new exhibition on the Otzi wet mummy, artist Norman Lindsay and his maritime passions and some remarkable WWII mercantile marine stories of survival.

May 27, 2007
Congratulations indeed, Inger.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks for the kind words, guys - I'm gradually working my way through the list of articles I've promised/half written/outlined!

A

Andrew Williams

Greetings Inger,

Many thanks for arranging the article from Australia.

As you know from past experience this side of the world is in the full throws of winter. Whilst sitting comfortably by the open fire this afternoon, I was enthralled at reading your beautiful article on Lowe. Beautifully written and beautifully present.

Bravo.... and a full hearted congratulations on a masterpiece well done.

A.W.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thank you for the feedback, folks -it's very much appreciated. After some years of working with the subject it's very useful to get the perspectives of others when presenting research - there's been an interesting common thread in comments I've received from those with an interest in maritime history who've read the article but were previously unfamiliar with Lowe's story. I've heard several remarks to the effect that readers were intrigued by what an interesting life Lowe lead, with a remarkable range of experiences.