Harold Lowe article in Welsh Country Magazine

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There's a great article by Geoff Brookes in the latest issue of Welsh Country Magazine about Harold Lowe, part of his series on the stories behind notable Welsh gravestones (he has a book on the subject coming out soon). It's illustrated with an evocative shot of headstone, an image of Titanic kindly contributed by Mark Chirnside, Daniel Klistorner and J Kent Layton and one of Harold Lowe himself loaned by the Lowe family (which has to my knowledge only previously been published in my Signals article).

May 27, 2007
Thanks for the info, Inger! Perhaps some of our Welsh Members can give us the heads up on what the Article has to say about Harold Lowe!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I might be able to get a copy to you, George. Apparently it's disappearing fairly quickly - a friend in Wales has advised me he picked up the last two copies from his local newsagent.

I've also been told that there is some repair work to be carried out on HGL's grave, where soil subsidence has caused cracking to the concrete covering.

May 27, 2007
I just saw this! Inger you don't have too although I appreciate you thinking of me. I know your a busy lady. Pity we can't post it on ET so everybody can get a gander at it or publish it online somewhere.

I'm also glad Lowe's Grave is being repaired!

May 27, 2007
Actually Inger I think have your work Address from when you sent me those Taylor Apartment Plans. Will Email you or you can message me though my profile here on ET!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
No trouble at all, George.

I do like the concept behind the series Geoff has written - "Stories in Stone". I saw a NZ TV series based around a similar idea - the narrator would tell the stories behind historic headstones, some with curious or evocative inscriptions, and some with an inscription that gives no hint of the dramatic events around the name. Harold Lowe's headstone would be one of the latter - except for the RNR rank, there is no hint of the rich life he lived.

Many is the happy hour I've spent looking for an historic grave, some of them connected with maritime research. They can be unexpectedly informative about the subjects.

May 27, 2007
Well as I said in my email I'm was quite the Goth and then I saw some of the lovelier ones. In Ft Madison where I grew up there's one from 1851 that is a classic. I remember it for obvious reasons. Mary Rosina 1812-1851 and her daughter Georgiana abide there! Yes, I read them too!
happy.gif