Harold Lowe's Masonic Career

Shea Sweeney

Apr 1, 2007
By Masonic I'm presuming you mean the Free Mason's Society?

If so, never knew Harold Lowe was in the organization.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks for directing Michael to my earlier post, Mark. HGL was initiated and passed in 1921 and then Raised early in 1922. According to the records of his lodge, he was not an office bearer.

May 27, 2007
I didn't know Harold Lowe was a Free Mason. Of course my grandfather was one and I didn't find out til I saw the sign of the brethren on his grave.
shock.gif
So that Harold Lowe was also a Free Mason dosen't surprise me.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Yes, I do know the name, Michael.

I'm not an automaton, btw - a little thank you for the information already provided would be pleasant. I wouldn't want to blow this out of proportion and it's not just you, but during my time in research circles I've freely parted with information that took me time, effort and sometimes money to track down. I don't mind doing that - I enjoy sharing information where possible, and have benefited greatly from the generosity of others. But sometimes I get the feeling that researchers are regarded as automated reference works, to be consulted without acknowledgement.

May 27, 2007
quote:

I'm not an automaton
No your not, Inger.
shock.gif
I thought I'd chime in with a Thank You, Inger for the map of Alvarado Court Complex (William Desmond Taylor Case) that you E-mailed me about a month back. I really appreciated it and other factoids you've shared in the Ballyhoo Jazz thread and other threads. Awaiting the Harold Lowe book with baited breath Geo.
happy.gif

Aug 14, 2003
Inger, I am naturally very grateful indeed for the information you have already provided to me and I am sure we all agree that we are generally an appreciative community of fellow researchers/maritime historians who reciprocate with information wherever possible. I fully intended to give you a full acknowledgment for your assistance after you had responded to my supplementary question. No bad manners were intended and I trust no offence taken for not having acknowledged your information earlier. Like most of you, I am frequently bombarded with requests for Titanic information and always try and assist with information wherever I have any.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Cheers, Michael. I don't want to be precious about it - I know that sometimes these things can slip by the wayside when we're focused on the bigger picture, and an answer often leads on to another question. I enjoy sharing information - but none of us likes to feel like we're being taken for granted. A little nod is nice!

Do you require the information for an article? If so, send me a PM and I'll email it to you with more precise dates for Lowe's involvement in the Masonic movement. If not, I'll post the name of the lodge here.

Cheers, George and Jason - you've both always been the absolute epitome of generosity and manners with your own research!

I was very surprised recently to find that my Swedish-born paternal great-grandfather was a Mason of some rank at the turn of last century (pre-1920s) - and even more so to find that my aunt still has much of his regalia! Very interesting, as his daughter married an Irish Catholic. I've spent so much time on matters Titanic I haven't looked deeply enough into the interesting branches of my own family tree - I don't want to pester my aunt about it as she's not too sure where the material is stored, but I'm hoping to get a good look at it at some point.

May 27, 2007
quote:

I don't want to pester my aunt about it as she's not too sure where the material is stored, but I'm hoping to get a good look at it at some point.
You should, Inger. I found a wealth of information about about my mothers side of the family from my great aunt including mother's great Uncle and his wife's passport for a 1932 visit to England and Denmark, Sweden along with his original travel intinary. Plus other fascinating info. Including a pocket watch as old as dirt. All of which I ended up with.

As for the Free Mason Regalia of my grandfather I don't think my grandmother kept any of that. She probably gave it all to gran dad's brother another Free Mason.​

Aug 14, 2003
Hi Inger, I am actually a Provincial Grand Officer for the Masonic Province of Wiltshire and I have been asked to deliver a lecture on the freemasons on board Titanic - combining my known Titanic and Masonic interests. I am currently putting together a powerpoint presentation which will give a general illustrated history of Titanic and then look at a few of the masonic crew and passengers. Lowe's involvement with the story is, of course, of great interest and as a freemason in later life I felt his story would be a good one through whose eyes the drama could unfold.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sounds like an interesting topic, Michael - and freemasonry seems to have been quite important to Lowe. I'll send through the details his Lodge gave me early next week - they conducted their own research when Cameron's movie came out, but found little beyond the dates of his involvement. Sadly, as far as they were aware there was no fellow Lodge member still living at that time who remembered HGL (although there are still some locals who do recall him).

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
George, I'm certainly keen to follow it up! I know what happens when these family stories don't get documented - and it's certainly not through lack of interest on our part. My main consideration is her health - she had a bad fall a little while back and there have been other issues. But she celebrated her birthday recently with her twin, my father, and seemed in great form, so I'll ask her. She remembers more on some subjects of family than my father does, including their mother's recollections of her visits to the US in the 1920s and the impact of prohibition (and the undergarments in use at the time!).

May 27, 2007
Inger,
quote:

She remembers more on some subjects of family than my father does, including their mother's recollections of her visits to the US in the 1920s and the impact of prohibition (and the undergarments in use at the time!).
My Great Aunt remembered more things then her brother, My Grandfather. By all means check up on your family. I wonder if Prohibition was a bit of a culture shock to your Grandmother.

I also need to re-check on a family member who was an Early Woman Doctor out west in South Dakota.

Michael and Inger,
Speaking of Free Masons I wonder how Lowe got involved with them. On my Dad's side all the men were Free Masons since way back. I wonder if Lowe's Family were Free Masons or he decided to ask to join because of a friend or what have you.​