Harold Lowe's Masonic Career

Inger Sheil

Sounds like an interesting topic, Michael - and freemasonry seems to have been quite important to Lowe. I'll send through the details his Lodge gave me early next week - they conducted their own research when Cameron's movie came out, but found little beyond the dates of his involvement. Sadly, as far as they were aware there was no fellow Lodge member still living at that time who remembered HGL (although there are still some locals who do recall him).

Inger Sheil

George, I'm certainly keen to follow it up! I know what happens when these family stories don't get documented - and it's certainly not through lack of interest on our part. My main consideration is her health - she had a bad fall a little while back and there have been other issues. But she celebrated her birthday recently with her twin, my father, and seemed in great form, so I'll ask her. She remembers more on some subjects of family than my father does, including their mother's recollections of her visits to the US in the 1920s and the impact of prohibition (and the undergarments in use at the time!).

Inger,
quote:

She remembers more on some subjects of family than my father does, including their mother's recollections of her visits to the US in the 1920s and the impact of prohibition (and the undergarments in use at the time!).
My Great Aunt remembered more things then her brother, My Grandfather. By all means check up on your family. I wonder if Prohibition was a bit of a culture shock to your Grandmother.

I also need to re-check on a family member who was an Early Woman Doctor out west in South Dakota.

Michael and Inger,
Speaking of Free Masons I wonder how Lowe got involved with them. On my Dad's side all the men were Free Masons since way back. I wonder if Lowe's Family were Free Masons or he decided to ask to join because of a friend or what have you.​