Harry Finch

trevor davy

Dec 21, 2005
Finch, Harry Victualling Department Third Class Stewards. Harry was my Gt Uncle ---he lied about his age & current address---which does not exsist in Soton.
Prior to sailing on the Titanic, Harry had been working on board the Philadelphia, but as this had no coal & could not sail due to strike.
Harry joined the Titanic at 6 a.m. on April 10th 1912, as a third class steward. For the voyage he
could expect to earn monthly wages of £3. 15s. 0d.
Can anybody add further information

Apr 27, 2003
Trevor - Hello and welcome.
Ref. Mr. Finch - What makes you think that he lied about his address in 1912? In 1912 32 French Stree was a public house that did 'lodgings' and were second homes for many seamen - unfortunatly like many other premises it was destroyed by German bombs in the last war.
I have posted below my printout on him with the death notice from the newspaper - please note the original was torn.

Best regards

Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK.

Finch, Henry. Lived or lodged at 32 French Street, St Michael's, Southampton. Occupation Steward. 18 years old. (Born in Hampshire).
(Death Notice from the Southern Daily Echo 2nd May 1912 and Hampshire Independent, 4th May 1912)
Finch, Harry.
Steward. Deeply Mourned by His Many Friends. Original Torn.

trevor davy

Dec 21, 2005
Hi Brian,

I have known since a small boy that my great uncle went down in the Titanic and was not quite 18 when he died -- he was even younger when he signed on the Philadelphia. The family history went that one had a greater chance of getting a first post on a ship if you were local and the addresses of most lodgings were known to the pursers, so he invented one that would seem OK. He was born :-
Name: Finch, Harold Francis
Record Type: Births
Quarter: September
Year: 1895
District: Lambeth
County: Greater London London Surrey

When I first read the information about Hampshire and 32, French Street -- I smiled, but then wondered why there was "evidence" that made his lies truth.
French Street had no 32 as far as I can discover:
Black Swan Public H French Street No 13
14 & 15 French Street
16 & 17 French Street
18 & 19 French Street Waterworks Offices
20 French Street Over Kings Fish Shop

As far as "born in Hampshire" I can't find a Henry/Harold/Harry Finch birth to fit 18 years.
The death notice does not seem to come from his family (he had 12 siblings) and so could well have been put there by the White Line Company, for all I know to the contrary. The family were not allowed any compensation from the White Line Company because of the discrepancies in his "in case of death" address.
Regards Trevor

Apr 27, 2003
Trevor - Hi again.
The ages on the Board of Trade Signing on sheets are an anomaly and even Captain Smith wrote his age down wrongly.
French Street most certainly had a number 32. It was one of the 39 Public Houses listed for that Street in the book 'Southampton Inns and Publications'.
It is also listed in every edition of the Kellys Street Directory up until 1940 when the whole area was decimated by the bombings.
For instance by 1927 it had ceased to be a public house and was a private dwelling owned and occupied by a Mr. Charles Knott, Fishmonger (he also owned the house next door) who went on to become a very rich man and an eventual Mayor of Southampton.
As you see the Death Notice came ''From his many friends''.
As a Single man with no dependent relatives his family would not have been entitled (unless severe hardship was proved)to any monies from the Titanic Relief Fund. There is no evidence or records of any applications for such.
I hope that helps?

Cheers Brian

trevor davy

Dec 21, 2005
Hi Brian
The point you seem to be missing is that his address was supposed to be --"The Home Address is the one on to which communications should be made in the event of the death of the Seaman." according to his "signing on form " The Pub you are defending is certainly not this as you have described it as a lodging house.
His parents lived into 1920 & 1940 and he had 12 siblings---.You should be suspicious that these "Good friends" didnt know or mention his family. Surely most of his good friends went with him to a watery grave. My Grandmother was pregnant at the time of her brother Harry's loss & she nearly lost the baby ----my mother.
So its not an easy event for a family to forget or get wrong.
If one of the Memorials in Sotton has his name on it I would be grateful of its location as respects are long overdue.
Regards Trevor

A

Andrew Williams

Ten years later I have the confidence to confirm that Harry isn't his real name. I am conducting a full investigation which is pending the outcome on my part and there isn't only strong connections with Southampton, but the finger does point elsewhere at Portsmouth. Harry whose real name is -- Henry Herman Finch lost his Uncle. He signed on the Crew Manifest as McGregor but his real name is John Brown Nevin. Henry's mother was the oldest sister "Alice Eliza Finch nee Kindler" whereas her younger sister on the Relief Fund is "Louisa Lilian Nevin formerly Scott nee Kindler. The other surprise completely blew me sideways as I discovered at Southampton Archives at the end of May this year, that Henry had a sister "Ada Queenie Finch". Her story is perhaps just as tragic because on that Monday morning (15th April 1912) she had one of the most horrible birthday's ever delivered. This really was a bomb shell waiting to come out of the woodwork. Ada was actually born on the 15th April 1897 in Southampton. Furthermore Henry did not come from a family of 15. Henry and Ada (brother and sister) are the only two born in that Southampton household. The other spanner in the works has revealed that Ada is found on the Relief Fund under the wing of the Ernest Ford family whose origins are from Lymington in the New Forest. I have spent half of my weekend searching all the records with Ancestry and nothing is confirming that Ada was a "sister" to Ernest Ford. This maybe a typo error on the part of the London Committee but I still have to keep my options open for further clues. I hope the above settles and gives you some satisfactory answers to some of your pending questions Trevor.