Has anyone else seen

Teresa Parks

Sep 9, 2007
I watch anything & everything on Titanic & MSNBC had an interesting segment.......there was this old lady whose husband had been a member of the press at the time Titanic sailed and had taken reels of actual footage of Titanic leaving the dock - which dock I don't know - I missed that part. Anyway he always kept copy reels of everything he shot in his garden tool shed - he passed away like in the 50's or 60's and his widow kept the tool shed but never went in it. Too hard on her memories - I suspect......but when James Cameron's movie came out & Titanic was everywhere she rememebered & went into the shed & found the reels! They are still veiwable.....they showed part of it.......It was amazing! Did anyone else see that? Or tape it? Had I known in time I would have taped it.......

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Teresa,

I did not catch that, I'm afraid. From the way it sounds, what was on those reels is previously unseen footage, correct? Perhaps they will show something about it again sometime.

-B.W.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Teresa and Brandon,

The film that you are talking about Teresa is called The Lost Film of the Titanic which contains original 1912 film footage. I own this video and it's very good. As you mention, it was found in a garden shed in England by a 90 year old lady where it had been lying for 86 years.

The dock that you were referring to was in Belfast before the Titanic left for her fateful maiden voyage. It also shows the ice flows where she struck the berg, the Carpathia returning with survivors, women from New York bringing clothes to comfort survivors, and the 1937 radio interview with Charles Lightoller and lots more.

Brandon: If I'm not mistaken, this is previously unseen footage. You can purchase this video in most video stores.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

E

Emily Cunliffe

Hi everyone,

I seem to remember that film being shown on a regional news broadcast, it was I think but I'm not sure found by the old lady in her garden shed in Southampton. I remember one of the well known regional newsreaders going around to her home and interviewing her, I think somewhere I may also have the footage on tape.

Best wishes
Em!

C

Christine Geyer

Teresa - go to

http://www.railwayvideo.com/

It's the homepage of the "Kingfisher Productions", who officially distributes "The lost film of the Titanic" and you can order it there. Unfortunately they've changed their website-design, some time ago you could watch some excerpts out of the film which is absolutely stunning !!

BUT I think you can only order on PAL I think. (hehe, that's the ONLY thing about Titanic that is only available on PAL instead of NTSC, usually I go crazy because everything is just NTSC or at DVD it has the code that's not playable here).

Many regards
christine

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Christine,
"Lost Film of the Titanic" is also available in NTSC as well. I recieved a copy of it for Christmas from my girlfriend. It was an absolutelly wonderful gift from someone who I don't think fully saw how much it meant.

Josh.

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I just now visited that website listed above. It contained a few of the lost scenes, and I found them interesting.

This makes you wonder if there's not more lost footage out there. Who knows, perhaps someone got shots of the interior of the ship w/ everyone wearing lifejackets. Now that would be something to see! Although it likely went with the ship.

-B.W.

Dec 7, 2000
Hi,

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but here's what I just found on the net:

================================================================

AUTHOR: Christine Moesch
TITLE: The Lost Film of the Titanic
SOURCE: School Library Journal 45 no12 62 D 1999

The Lost Film of the Titanic (The Great Ships Series). videocassette. color. 30 min. Prod. by Kingfisher Prods. Dist. by Chip Taylor Communications. 1999. $99.
Gr 7 Up--Although the title implies that viewers will see something new, the video footage is either reminiscent of or a duplication of footage seen in other productions about the Titanic, most notably from A&E. Billed as having been found in a shed in England after 90 years, this production contains previously-seen footage of Captain Smith (on the Titanic's sister ship, Olympic), the White Star Line offices in New York, crew members posing for pictures and footage from the rescue ship, Carpathia. If the very small amount of film featuring the Titanic is original, it is not unique, and only would be of interest to viewers who simply can't get enough of the doomed ship, even after overdosing on Titanic-related media in the past few years. The short interview with survivor Milvinna Dean covers no new ground, and the information from a 1937 radio interview with Charles Lightoller has been available on tape or in text for a long time. While the frenzy over Titanic-related material seems to be waning a bit, the ship has always been a source of fascination and on that basis some public libraries might want to add this to their collections. Just be aware that there is nothing really new here.
================================================================

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
It's true, all of the footage on this video has been seen elsewhere, though perhaps only in snippets. By far the best thing on this tape in my opinion, and the only thing I had not seen before, is actual film of the Olympic being launched-stunning stuff.

Teresa Parks

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks everyone who wrote back.........I'm on my way to the video store to buy "Lost film of the Titanic".......I thought it was fantastic what I seen of it.......and want to add it to my collection. Thanks again........
Teresa
happy.gif

May 5, 2001
Hi Teresa,

Can you do me a favor and let me know how much you paid for it when you brought it at the video store, I may want to pick up a copy myself.

BTW, is anyone aware that some of the 1912 footage shot of the "Titanic" (i.e. backing out of the birth) is actually the Olympic, which was smaller but almost exact in design to the Titanic.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Bill

Dec 7, 2000
It wasn't smaller, it was only a tad lighter as Titanic had a few extra features such as the B deck suites extended to he side, the Café Parisien and other design improvements which made it weigh just about 1328 tonnes more.

Daniel.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Oh, you dear old landlubber! Olympic did not weigh 1,328 tonnes less than Titanic. Her Gross Registered Tonnage was 1,328 tons less.

Gross Registered tonnage is a measure of volume. One ton is 100 cubic feet. GRT can not be converted to tonnes, though travel agents keep doing it. GRT was increased on Titanic by enclosing areas left open on Olympic.

The dimensions of the two ships were as nearly the same as practical ship building would allow. Titanic would have had a somewhat bigger displacement than Olympic, due to the extra structural parts fitted to her, but the difference would have been quite small.

Jan 5, 2001
If memory serves, Olympic's displacement was 52,060 tons and Titanic's 52,310 tons. (Britannic's was reported as 'over 53,000 tons' which I estimated as 54,000 - 55,000.)

Michael lowe

Apr 2, 2006
(Sorry, don't know if anyones mentioned this before!)
When i went to Southampton a couple of weeks ago, i went to the maritime museum and i bought a DVD with original 1912 film footage of the Titanic (and olympic?) that an old lady found in her garden shed. This is really interesting, does anyone else have any footage from 1912?

take her to sea ,Mr Murdoch-lets stretch her legs

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing one addressing the same subject. MAB]