Has anyone seen anything like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZoeWatson

Pardon me for not being able to post a pic, but the link to the photo is below. The curiosity of this is killing me, as to what is actually may be. I do know that I acquired it quite by chance several years ago, it appears to be old, and have combed the net as well as the library in search of anything like it. Any info or input appreciated!

http://pub89.ezboard.com/fmememe34092frm7.showMessage?topicID=10.topic

Hi, Zoe,
yes, variations of these key chains were mass produced years ago as a novelty item. Unfortunately, through the years, some people have unwittingly bought and sold these key fobs, thinking they were authentic. The 'key' to knowing what is authentic Titanic items and what is not - only paper items had the name Titanic on them. Keys did not, though they did have stamped on them what they belonged to ("Crow's Nest Telephone"), ("Crew Galley") but never with the name of the ship.
Larger items, such as the propeller blades, engine machinery, etc. had the ship's hull number, '401', stamped, stenciled or etched on them

Z

ZoeWatson

Thank you for your kind response.

Luckily, I did not pay anything for it, although I probably would have just for the interest value to me personally. I am curious, however, as to the demand for "novelty" items like this? Have you any idea, as I haven't come across any sort of buy/sell/trade Titanic novelty sites. I have recently become interested in parting with it, should it have any value to a collector, perhaps a key fob collector, etc.

Hi, Zoe!
If I owned it and wanted to part with it, I would put it on eBay as a novelty item, making it clear in my description that the key fob is not an authentic Titanic item, that it is merely a conversation/novelty piece, and see if anyone bids on it. The bidder, if any, would decide the value of the item to him/her. The book Triumph & tragedy by Eaton and Haas mentions Captain's Office key tags made in the 1970s and sold for around $5.

Personally, I've no idea as to the value or the demand of these key tags.

Your desire with what you'd wish to do with it may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.