Has COLUMBUS ever been found?

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
She was a German liner finished in 1924.
She measured 32,354 gross tons, was 236 metres (774 ft) long and carried 1,650 passengers. She was one of the first liners to have an outside swimming pool installed on her top deck, as well as a platform for night-time dancing.

The Germans scuttled her off the coast of Virginia in 1939.

Has anyone ever found the wreck?

Thank you.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Usually, new posts, no matter what category, are moved to the top. My point was, no one will ever see this. Why this remained way down here, I do not understand.
The post before this is from 09-07-2009.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, James.

The wreck has not been found, as far as I know. It lies in the same deep water that the Vestris does and, like the Vestris, will probably remain unfound until someone stumbles across it looking for something else....that translates to TREASURE HUNTERS.

I have a scrapbook kept by passengers on that aborted voyage. Here is a photo taken two days before things started going downhill:

hind_columbus_august_1939.jpg

Here is the final buffet, before the passengers were dumped ashore:

hind_columbus_august_1939_buffet.jpg

It would be interesting to see the Columbus found, but the high cost of exploring 13,000 foot deep water plus the low yield of finding a liner that ISNT a treasure ship, means that it probably wont be, for a while.

Your post will bump upward, if posts are made in other subjects afterwards.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
This view was taken on a 1935 Fjords cruise. This is from the family album of a crew member who spent a year working aboard the Columbus and who took pictures of nearly every ship they encountered.

columbus1.jpg

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Just curious. I thought she was a pretty liner, and right smart for her time period. I also thought 400 miles off the coast of Virginia was interesting. She rarely gets mentioned.