Have any of the funnels been located?

A

Aaron_2016

I forget who it was, but someone claimed to have been looking fown into the decks from the top of the fourth funnel, saw the break, and then was suddenly in the water without remembering how he got there. If the funnel had flattened, I don’t think he would’ve been able to tell the tale (that is, if it’s true).

Alfred White gave his account many years later and described how he climbed to the top of the 4th funnel. He witnessed the ship breaking in two, but he did not remember how he ended up in the water, or how he found himself on Collapsible A. I believe if the funnel had remained cylindrical after it fell then Alfred would have been sucked into it as the water rushed in, but if the funnel had collapsed upon impact with the deck or the water then the sudden 'flattening' of the funnel may have expelled a large amount of air and burst Alfred out (like popping a bag of potato chips and they burst out).

Note - Alfred White gave his first account back in 1912 right after the Carpathia arrived. In that original account he describes the same thing (climbing the dummy funnel), except he describes how he climbed down the funnel and approached the bridge where he found Captain Smith and heard him say "Everyman for himself". Alfred said he then slid down one of the lifeboat falls and dropped into the water and only now did he hear the explosion and witness the ship break apart while he was already in the water, and then he was later picked up by Collapsible A.

It is understandable that in his later account he did not remember climbing down the funnel and climbing down the ropes into the water (owing to the traumatic events that were playing around him and the decades of memories that would muddle his memory). The strange thing is, that he distinctly remembered seeing the ship breaking in two when he was at the top of the funnel and was looking down, yet in 1912 he said the ship broke when he was in the water.

I think he witnessed the ship starting to buckle or break and immediately rushed back down the funnel, and then he heard one of the officers cry out "Everyman for himself" and perhaps he mistakenly believed that was the captain, and then he climbed down one of the aft lifeboat falls and dropped into the the water and then he witnessed the complete break up of the ship, and found Collapsible A and swam towards it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I think he witnessed the ship starting to buckle or break and immediately rushed back down the funnel, and then he heard one of the officers cry out "Everyman for himself" and perhaps he mistakenly believed that was the captain, and then he climbed down one of the aft lifeboat falls and dropped into the the water and then he witnessed the complete break up of the ship, and found Collapsible A and swam towards it.

Unrelated, but that would at least take ten minutes. I think the break would have occurred within a few seconds.

May 3, 2005
Here are the remains of the 2nd funnel.

View attachment 42922

View attachment 42923

I think the film 'Raise the Titanic' had chosen to show the 2nd funnel missing, as there were a number of survivors who only saw the 2nd funnel falling over before the lights went out. e.g.

Survivor Percy Keen said: "It appeared to us that when the ship listed heavily to port the engines fell out and crashed through the side. The second funnel broke off, and killed a number of people in its fall."

Survivor Thomas Ranger believed the ship broke "About the second funnel from forward."

Survivor Jack Thayer said - "The second funnel seemed to be lifted off, emitting a cloud of sparks."

My apologies but none of the objects in those photographs look like funnels to me. Perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong perspective, but they look too small in diameter to be funnels and must be something other than funnels or parts of funnels.
Perhaps you could explain what they are?

A

Aaron_2016

Unrelated, but that would at least take ten minutes. I think the break would have occurred within a few seconds.

I think it was a very slow and gradual process as the buckling and breaking of her decks gradually intensified as the wood, walls, and floors slowly twisted over to one side and snapped across each deck which would allow the passengers on the boat deck to run across the breach as it gradually opened up and separated. Charles Joughin was getting a drink inside the pantry on A-deck (possibly inside the Smoking room with other members of the crew like Dillon who received free drinks from the bar). Dillon was getting a drink with the other men when they heard a strange buckling sound and many people rushed out of the room. Dillon kept out of the rush and went on deck to discover the bow had broken off. I believe Joughin exited the room with the other men and did not wait to see the bow break off, but instead had instinctively rushed out and made his way towards the poop deck, but when he reached the aft well deck the separation intensified and the stern gave a great list over to port.

The odd thing is Charles Joughin said he was inside the A-deck pantry (presumably inside the Smoking room) when - "I heard a kind of a crash as if something had buckled, as if part of the ship had buckled, and then I heard a rush overhead."
Q - Do you mean a rush of people?
A - Yes, a rush of people overhead on the deck.
Q - Is the deck pantry on A deck?
A - Yes.
Q - People running, yes?
A - When I got up on top I could then see them clambering down from those decks. Of course, I was in the tail end of the rush.

Curious to know how he managed to get 'up on top' because I don't recall any staircases that led from the A-deck pantry in the Smoking room to the boat deck above. Either he mispoke and he just meant he 'stepped outside' and he did not actually mean he 'got up on top', but instead he really just 'got up on deck', or else he managed to walk forwards and down the long A-deck promenade climbed up a different staircase that led to the boat deck and then ran back towards the stern from the boat deck.

Anyone know if there was a ladder that allowed crew access from the A-deck smoking room to the boat deck above, or did Joughin have to go the long way around? This might help indicate how long the buckling process was, because it began when he was in the room and finalized when he was close to the aft well deck and the stern tore off sideways as the sheer weight of it leaning over to port would rapidly intensify the tearing of her decks.

A

Aaron_2016

My apologies but none of the objects in those photographs look like funnels to me. Perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong perspective, but they look too small in diameter to be funnels and must be something other than funnels or parts of funnels.

I believe most of the funnel has rusted and dissolved over time. You can watch the footage of the 2nd funnel here:

Skip to 51:40

Dec 27, 2017
Isle of Man

Robert, what you are looking at are the remains of the steam whistles and pipework that ran up the funnels. The top photo is of the flattened, rusted remains of a funnel.

Roger

Dec 23, 2017
Currently watching the funnels of the Berengaria (built in 1912) being pulled down. They appear to flatten upon impact. Perhaps the Titanic and Britannic's funnels did the same when they collapsed. This would rule out the theory that people were sucked down into them.

Skip to 2.10

A closer view of 2 of her funnels in 1913 when she was known as the Imperator.

View attachment 42956

This hurts to watch this happen to such a fine ship

Kurt Urbain

Oct 11, 2018
Ken Marschalls paintings of Lusitania and Britannic show some funnel remains, Ballard mentioned in Lost Liners that they located the other 3 from Britannic not far from the main wreck, and that they were well preserved.
7BE66741-1316-4FFE-9900-71E2D9AEA5D6.jpeg
54245266-DDB3-4A7D-A3CA-D930531950A9.jpeg

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi y'all. Have the First and Third funnels been located? I know the Second and Fourth have been. A sort of second question: how do we know that the two funnels located ARE indeed Funnels 2 & 4, and not, say, 1 & 4??

davey

May 24, 2020
To the best of my knowledge the funnels are long gone. They seem to be the among the first things to disintegrate on a shipwreck. The funnels of the Britannic, Lusitania and even the funnel of a more recent wreck such as the Andrea Doria are gone as well.
the funnels of the britannic are still intact and near the wreck

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
in the past two months I have entered research and study of the wreck, to find these funnels. Study of wreck footage, maps, obscure websites, and information from other researchers.
Recently I have found three of the four funnels (in collaboration will Bill Sauder)

No. 1 Funnel: (I am not sure of the exact location, but the best bet is westward of the stern, close to the Stern's ejecta debris field)
1618189977036.png

No. 2 Funnel (which we all knew of) eastward of the Stern (copyright Bill Sauder)
Number 2 Funnel remains.jpg

No. 3 Funnel: missing and not sure of the location, but the pipes are on the forward tower which is southeast of the Bow

No. 4 Funnel remains
whistles, 1985 WHOI
Fourth Funnel whistles.png

Fourth Funnel pipes, 1985 WHOI
1618190419899.png

and the Fourth Funnel base, which is still connected to the roofing that held the Fourth Funnel, or at least did in 1985
1985 WHOI
fourth funnel base in 1985.png

I am still not sure of where the Third Funnel is, but I hope to find it and add to this thread

Last edited:

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
in the past two months I have entered research and study of the wreck, to find these funnels. Study of wreck footage, maps, obscure websites, and information from other researchers.
Recently I have found three of the four funnels (in collaboration will Bill Sauder)

No. 1 Funnel: (I am not sure of the exact location, but the best bet is westward of the stern, close to the Stern's ejecta debris field)
View attachment 76287

No. 2 Funnel (which we all knew of) eastward of the Stern (copyright Bill Sauder)
View attachment 76288

No. 3 Funnel: missing and not sure of the location, but the pipes are on the forward tower which is southeast of the Bow

No. 4 Funnel remains
whistles, 1985 WHOI
View attachment 76289

Fourth Funnel pipes, 1985 WHOI
View attachment 76290

and the Fourth Funnel base, which is still connected to the roofing that held the Fourth Funnel, or at least did in 1985
1985 WHOI
View attachment 76291

I am still not sure of where the Third Funnel is, but I hope to find it and add to this thread
Addendum, the fourth funnel base lies not very far from the exposed part of the Engine Room, but the Second Class Purser's safe is closer to the engines

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Third Funnel remains:

(NOAA 2003)
Pipes, with White Star Buff clearly visible
1619703850836.png

Its better seen here, and you can see corroded beams and support structures of those on the Funnels
1619703899464.png

More corroded Funnel remains, and the white water pipes remains
1619704049068.png

(Olympic, unsure of the date)
1619704112793.png

1619704095084.png

the pipes that go into the tankroom/Engineer's Mess are still there, Although on the aft tower
(RMST Inc 2010)
1619704251182.png

Now we have all the funnels located, I think

Attachments

• 1619704308462.png
    1619704308462.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 12
Nov 14, 2005
Third Funnel remains:

(NOAA 2003)
Pipes, with White Star Buff clearly visible
View attachment 76472

Its better seen here, and you can see corroded beams and support structures of those on the Funnels
View attachment 76473

More corroded Funnel remains, and the white water pipes remains
View attachment 76474

(Olympic, unsure of the date)
View attachment 76476

View attachment 76475

the pipes that go into the tankroom/Engineer's Mess are still there, Although on the aft tower
(RMST Inc 2010)
View attachment 76477

Now we have all the funnels located, I think
I like the pics. But I'm not seeing what your seeing. Looks like silt to me. Could be the monitor.