Hawse pipe

R

Richard Coplen

Hey all,
I've always wondered what purpose the round porthole at the very front of the ship, facing forward, served? Was it simply a porthole or was it a light of some description? I look forward to your ideas,
Richie.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
That's a hawse pipe. It was used whenever the center anchor located in the forepeak was deployed. Others here on the board can give you more detailed information, but that's the basic definition.

Adam

RDLOVER777

Jul 15, 2014
Titanic's Bow

hello, im new here.

would is the hole like thing on the bow for?
f16298871b_full.jpg
its the void just under the white section of the hull

220px-Ghosts_of_the_abyss.jpg

f16298871b_full.jpg

R. Fairhurst

Feb 14, 2019
On many pictures of the Titanic there is an oval opening (it would seem) in the bow, high above the waterline just below the level of B-deck/forecastle. It's visible on most models too.
What is it?
upload_2019-2-28_21-59-24.jpeg

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
It's a hawse pipe. It's to allow for berthing hawsers, towing lines and ropes to pass through and to be secured inboard or brought to capstan or winches.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It was also used for the wire cable for the big anchor that was stowed on the foredeck. There was a crane to hoist it out when needed, but I wouldn't like to have to do it, especially in a seaway.

Reactions: Rob Lawes
Dec 4, 2000
The steel cable mentioned by Dave Gittins was sometimes called the "insurance wire" as it could be used to pull disabled ships to safety. Legend has it that in some circumstances, a ship offering its own wire could reduce salvage claims and, thereby, lessen the payout by the insurance company. Great theory, but anyone who has dealt with previsional salvors knows they belong to the black flag nation.

-- David G. Brown

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
In the Royal Navy, the type 23 Frigate has a similar looking hole in the stern to allow the sonar array to be streamed through it in a long wire.

The hole was referred to as "the elephants ass hole"

:D

R. Fairhurst

Feb 14, 2019
Thanks to those who replied to my question.
It explains why there was a crane at the bow which was something I had also wondered about!