Hear Mauretania's main whistle

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Hi Peter,

Wow! That sure is a wonderful sound- just the thing after a long, hard day at work. Many thanks for sharing it with us
happy.gif

May I ask how you came by the recording, was it actually recorded whilst it was still on the ship?

Regards,

Lucy

Peter Newall

Aug 19, 2006
Hello Lucy,
It was recorded at a distance of 100 yards in 1984 by the current owner........I have more details in the book which was launched at the London Ship Show last Saturday - you should order your copy before it sells out ! lol
best wishes,
Peter

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Thanks, Peter. Yes, I have ordered the book!
Don't wish to appear dumb or anything, but did the whistle actually have that same sound when it was still on the ship herself - it did not have the pitch altered or anything?

Regards,

Lucy

Peter Newall

Aug 19, 2006
Hello Lucy,
I am not a whistle expert but I understand that each whistle had its own distinctive tone which was set when the whistle was made. The Mauretania one was not altered so the sound you hear is close to the one heard aboard the ship although allowances should be made for the fact that this whistle had to be blown using a land-based steam engine - it is three quarters of a ton in weight! In the book I have a photo of the whistle being removed from the ship in 1936.

Look forward to hearing what you think of the book.
all the best,
Peter