Helen Candee on Titanic

Aug 30, 2005
Hi. On Charles Pellegrino's website under Helen Churchill Candee, it states that she went onto the the bow on the morning of Titanic's last sunrise. Were passengers allowed there? And if she did go to the bow didn't anyone at the bridge notice?

Gracias!!
Andy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Were passengers allowed there?<<

Nope. Working areas of the ship such as the forecastle would be off limits for safety reasons. That doesn't mean it didn't happen or couldn't happen, but it's still the sort of story that I'd take with a grain of salt.

Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Michael, i wonder what really happened? Maybe she ventured to another outdoor spot on the ship, mistaking the name of the area with the "bow". Who knows?

Andy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Thanks Michael, i wonder what really happened?<<

She may very well have done exactly what was claimed. I wasn't there so I can't say as I'd know. While the area would have been off limits, that in itself wouldn't always stop somebody if that person really wanted to get there. It doesn't come across as being the likeliest of stories. Especially since any reasonably alert member of the crew would have taken notice from either the bridge or the crow's nest, but I wouldn't write it off as impossible.

May 12, 2005
Actually, Candee was born Oct. 5, 1858. Her birth year used to be in dispute among some researchers, mislead by erroneous biographical information she herself supplied during her career.

Candee most frequently claimed 1863 or 1868 as her birth year. As anyone searching Ellis Island files has found, the older Edwardian women got, the younger they got! It was rare indeed in that era for a lady to admit her true age.

Aug 2, 2006
Thank you very much Randy i was not aware of that i will have to email the editor of this source with the correction. thanks. Grant.

Lisa Phillips

Feb 12, 2005
Hi everybody, i have a question that i hope somebody can steer me in the right direction. back in sept my boyfriend and i were vacationing in Massachusetts and one of our stops was at the Harmony Grove Cemetery, i asked the lady for helen's grave location and she looked on the records and she said that Helen was only cremated there and that her daughter Edith Matthews picked up her ashes and took her back to Maine. can anyone please steer this confused person in the right direction. thank you in advance

Karlee Weiler

Oct 8, 2009
Helen Churchill Candee

For some reason Ms. Candee has always caught my attention. I would love to believe that she had a great moment on the bow of Titanic on April 14, 1912. Does any one know for sure where this rumor started and if it can be debunked or even proven true?

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this existing thread discussing the same subject. MAB]

Last edited by a moderator: