Hello from Surrey, England

Apr 12, 2012
I've been interested in the Titanic since the mid 1970s when I watched A Night to Remember when I was around 11.
As a journalist and editor I recently published an article about night vision and those in the crow's nest. Before then I was a member
of the British Titanic Society and met survivor Edith Haisman (nee Brown) at a book signing in 1995. I attended the Royal Film Performance
of Titanic hoping it would match my favourite Titanic film, A Night to Remember but it certainly didn't! However, despite its huge faults,
time has softened my attitude to this hugely commercially successful and ambitous production, and I have warmed to its simplicity and lyrical last few scenes. Yesterday I attended an IMAX performance of the film at the BFI, but I will also attend a screening of the Rank film shortly to remind myself of the best film on the drama. I have also visited the Belfast dock long before it was developed, and, in 1997, the Jack Phillips Memorial Garden. Last year I attended the O2 exhibition twice, once for professional reasons.
I am currently enjoying ITV1's attempt to dramatise the story and will watch the final episode shortly.
I grew up in Merseyside, close to Titanic's home port, and now live in Surrey - please contact me to say hello, and share your stories of favourite people and moments from the world of Titanic.:)

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Good to see you here; I lived in Surrey for a number of years (Walton on Thames, then Surbiton, then New Malden and finally Woking) and have fond memories of the place. I heard about a Titanic exhibition in 2002 at the Godalming museum and arrived there a week too late to see it. What I did find was the Godalming show, and a load of drunken teenagers swigging cider in the Jack Phillips memorial cloister!

Hello David and Paul. I was born in Southampton and moved up to Redhill as a young girl with my parents. We moved to Reigate and I have been in our current address in Reigate, Surrey for fifteen years. Yesterday I flew up to Aberdeen to visit the grave of Robert Hichens, quartermaster and last man at the wheel of Titanic. For seventy years it has believed that he was buried at sea but two weeks ago I finally tracked him down and saw the paper work. which shows his final resting place at the Trinity Cemetery in Aberdeen. He shares his plot with two others and doesn't have a headstone although that will be rectified soon. I am Robert Hichens' great granddaughter.