Help needed identifying ships in archive footage

Mar 15, 2011
Dear all,

I'm currently doing some research for an exhibition and would be very much obliged if someone could kindly give me the names of the ships featured in this clip:

http://www.framepool.com/bin/30163,Passenger_Ship,1910-1959/

clip number 538-001-193 on framepool.

Any pointers on the possible names of the ships, location it was shot, date, source, or anything that expert eyes might spot that could help me track down the ship names would be hugely appreciated!!!

Many thanks in advance!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Christine. The ship mainly featured (with three funnels) is the White Star liner Majestic. For the date I can only guess at early '20s, but if Mark Chirnside is online he'll maybe tell you not only the exact date but the time of day too!

Mar 15, 2011
Brilliant, thanks Bob. Framepool themselves had no idea. Really appreciate the help.

If anyone happens to have any more info on this that would great!?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You're welcome. I think the other ship (with 4 funnels) is Cunard's Aquitania, but as I can view only the tiny version of the clip I can't see the details well enough to be sure. The structure seen at the end of the clip (surrounding the Majestic) looks like the floating dry dock at Southampton, and my guess for the date remains the early to mid 1920s.