Help or Ibll fail

• Thread starter Laura Melinda Varjo
  • Start date

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Hi, I've asked help here before about my term paper which is due in May. My topic is: The Impact of the Titanic Disaster Upon American Society. Well, my teacher requires us to have between 200-250 note cards so we can write our essay easily, and I only have 50 note cards(which were due last Friday), all based on Allison Lane's article. When I go on Google, and Yahoo, I see very similar stuff, same idea, nothing new. Does my topic suck so bad, that it can barely be supported, or i'm just not finding very good info. Any other place I can go, or articles that I can read ?

Aug 29, 2000
Laura- actually this is the place for discussion of the research articles submitted to ET which you can access from the homepage-but since we are here -a few pointers. First- don't think you are going to fail. There's plenty of time if you work at this every day. Set a schedule of maybe 5-7 index cards per day and at least two sources per week, -books, websites, articles, newspapers, interviews with historians, etc. It is a good topic, and there's a lot of information on the subject. You might even want to broaden it to be Titanic's Impact on World Society. She was a British ship, carrying all nationalities, including Americans of course. You might consider several areas for examination: a. Changes in life-saving equipment on ships after the disaster, b. the formation of the International Ice Patrol, funded by many nations using the shipping lanes, c. the altering of shipping routes in ice season, d. the effect on booking transatlantic crossing directly after the disaster, e. the financial impact on White Star Line, f. the end of the Gilded Age innocence when wealth usually meant security from tragedy and disaster such as the sinking, g. the effects on the mindset of the American traveller, both the wealthy, middle class and businessman, and steerage, h. how public relations and promotion of ocean travel in the press and advertising changed with new emphasis on safety as well as luxury, i. the public's preoccupation with the disaster in popular culture in the form of plays, Coney Island attractions and reinactments, sheet music, poems, stories, songs, postcards, memorial editions, etc. -and so much more. Please look up a great social commentary on the age and Titanic called Down With the Old Canoe, and also read Wyn Craig Wade's Titanic, End of a Dream, especially the chapter called Pilots of the Purple Twilight, to get a feel for the age. This is a fascinating topic and you will do very well. Teachers always find these papers on this topic exciting to read. Get organized and attack this in incremenets. Don't forget to read some of the survivor accounts also. You have over three months -keep us posted!

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Hi Laura,
Shelley has given you some really good suggestions, but I think your choice of topic focusing on American Society is fine. How did American's attitudes towards ocean travel change? What maritime laws were made to ensure the safety of ALL passengers, including crew? Also, you may want to include the emergence of other forms of travel that began to gain popularity in America, like the automobile and the airplane.

GOOD LUCK!

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Thanks you guys for the advice. Shelley, yeah, that's the smart way to do it, I did it like that- 5 cards a day, so 10 days in total. So unluckily, I HAD to work on the project during my vacation in December. But it's SO much better than the fact that my fellow classmates are not even finished with the cards, because they don't think ahead like I do.
proud.gif

Thanks Shelley for those articles. Susan, for yours' as well ! Yeah, my teacher did say to me privately my topic is VERY exciting, and not boring as some of the kids' is, he didn't say the second part.

Susan, I'll include the other forms of travel as well, but I'm just afraid it's not tying to the topic, but whatever you say. Oh wait, it COULD tie in, cause fewer people trusted ships then, plus new technology...Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Of course I won't fail, I wrote the topic like that to grasp people's attention. Yeah, I've included surviviors' accounts as well(still have only 50)and he said I did a real good job.

Thanks again !

Aug 29, 2000
Laura, you might also consider the effect the disaster had on wireless, public interest in Marconi, and the changes made onboard ships regarding the wireless. A whole series of books for boys came out starting in 1912 post-disaster called The Wireless Boys- as it was a hot topic that underlined the value of constant communication at sea. One other thing which I forgot was the impact in religious circles-worldwide, but very much in America. The sinking was on the tongue of nearly every clergyman in the pulpit in the time after the disaster. The general message was that mankind was trying to exalt technology in place of humility, Faith and trust in God. There are so many sermons on the subject, some online I believe. The Greek concept of "hubris" -or overweening Pride in achievment, was, in the clergy view, a sin for which God taught us all a lesson via the sinking-Pride being one of the seven deadly sins! I will also recommend Mike Tennaro's booksite to get source ideas. We have several helpful Titanic book experts here on the board as well. http://www.titanicbooksite.com/index.html
Keep your bibliography as you go- then it's easier at the end of the project not to have to scramble around finding your references.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Thanks for the advice. I already included a few sources of wireless information(about 2-3 cards) but I know there has to be more info on them, so I will check the book out if I have time, or go on Google and search about the subject.

Yeah, I'm keeping my bibliography in order all right. Can you believe this-first time I never had to make just one up ! Now, I have to study for mid terms, study, study, study... finally in Feb I'm going on vacation to my old home.

Thanks again !

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Thanks you guys for all this info, you guys are so nice helping me like that.

Jim, now I don't for sure, but is that Japanese ?

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Yes, Akiyama Saneyuki was one of the early tacticians of the Imperial Japanese Navy.
The phrase was his message reporting conditions before the Russian fleet was engaged and destroyed at Tsushima Straits.
He was aboard Admiral Togo's flagship Mikasa, at the time.
Translation is "Sky clear but sea rough"

A

Allison Lane

Omigod, someone's using my paper as a reference? Eeek.
happy.gif

Laura, I thought you might be interested to know that I had originally intended to write my paper on the impact of the Titanic's loss on society, as you are, but most of the resources I turned up had to do with maritime law, so I just changed my topic.
happy.gif
I also once wrote a paper on the impact in the American religious community, but I thought it sucked so I never even thought twice about submitting it here!

Good luck on your paper!

-Allison L.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I also once wrote a paper on the impact in the American religious community, but I thought it sucked so I never even thought twice about submitting it here!<<

You might want to consider revisiting it then, making any revisions you deem appropriate, then submitting it. I realize the the subject matter may be something of a timebomb...religious discussions have a funny way of bringing out the best and the worst among those who take part...but it was all part of the way the culture of the day responded to and understood these events.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Oops ! I'm sorry Allison, your work was recommended to me, and it's really, really well done. Good job.

Sorry, now I feel like I've just used you, your time and energy spent on that paper... too bad I've already wrote the note cards.

Sorry again, I didn't know.

A

Allison Lane

Oh, no, Laura, don't feel bad! I'm not upset at all--really, I'm actually extremely flattered. See, I wrote that paper for a college historiography class last year, and I was so proud to have it published here on ET, and to find that someone's using it as a reference for a paper of their own--my first thought was "wow, my professor would split another happiness gasket".
happy.gif
So I'm just really really flattered. I'm sorry if I upset you! That wasn't my intention at all.

-Allison L.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Hi Allison,

I'm not feeling bad, you didn't upset me, I thought I upsetted YOU !

Well, it's good that you feel proud of your work, tell your professor I used it, so he'll be proud of you even more.

Laura