Help pleaseKatarina Barbier

T

Toni Malon

My great grandmother always told us a story about how she had a ticket for the Titanic and while she was waiting, she met a young girl who told her to give her the ticket and a ring she had. This women claimed she would give them back and give her money. My great grandmother, being obviously gullible, did. The woman never returned and she waited two years, working until she could afford to come here. Of course she didn't talk to anyone, so on Ellis Island she stayed. In 1914 is when she came and eventually a family member came and recognized her. Apparently, her family thought she had died on the Titanic and even had a funeral for her. Her name was Katarina Barbier (later, Katarina Jaros)She was Slovak and from Hybbe, Hungary. I don't know who the woman was, but would really like to know who she was and what happened to her. I know there are a lot of tales out there, but not this one. She told us the same story until she died at age 84. Please let me know if anyone has any info. Thank you

U

Unregistered

Katarina Barbier/Jaros

Hi Toni,

Katarina Barbier/Jaros was the sister of our grandfather Daniel Barbier. Unfortunately our grandfather Daniel already died (1975) but we remember he was talking about Katarina very often. We know Katarina had/has two children Mary Susan Jaros and Raymand Rudy Jaros. We also know the next sister of our grandfather Hermina Barbier/Hutar has moved to US in 1920. Do you know anything about her?

It´s exciting to be in contact with our family we didn´t know anything about but having one grandfather :)

Best Regards,

Tana

(email: [email protected])

Nov 2, 2016
My great grandmother always told us a story about how she had a ticket for the Titanic and while she was waiting, she met a young girl who told her to give her the ticket and a ring she had. This women claimed she would give them back and give her money. My great grandmother, being obviously gullible, did. The woman never returned and she waited two years, working until she could afford to come here. Of course she didn't talk to anyone, so on Ellis Island she stayed. In 1914 is when she came and eventually a family member came and recognized her. Apparently, her family thought she had died on the Titanic and even had a funeral for her. Her name was Katarina Barbier (later, Katarina Jaros)She was Slovak and from Hybbe, Hungary. I don't know who the woman was, but would really like to know who she was and what happened to her. I know there are a lot of tales out there, but not this one. She told us the same story until she died at age 84. Please let me know if anyone has any info. Thank you
Hi Toni,

My Great Grandmother was Hermina. Hermina had two daughters. Mildred and Ethel. Mildered was my grandmother and had my mother Christina. All have since passed, but I know there is family in NYC, that they lost touch with. I attended Katarina's funeral as well as Mary Jaros' as a small child.

If you every see this, do reach out to me [email protected] I live in Nassau on Long Island.