Help required regarding Titanic dry dock in Belfast/identification

mpj27

Nov 3, 2017
I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could help me with two photographs I have that may or may not be of the Titanic.
As a postcard collector I know the photographs are consistent in type and age but have been told that the ship is in the wrong dock, even though I checked it against modern photos of the dock in Belfast and to me, it seems the same ie: number of steps, gutter/bilge etc.
Also the initial in the bottom of the photo "J.N.I", does anyone know who or what that represents?
I just hoped someone here may be able to give me some clue as I find the subject fascinating.
I hope you like the pictures at any rate!

tit1.jpg
tit2.jpg

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Hello mpj27. Firstly, welcome to ET!

Secondly, Congratlations on finding these beautiful photos!

For their content, Their definitely of a Olympic class ship in the Thompson Dry Dock.

For the photographers Initials, a possible guess is that they stand for Josha Inglis who is known to have taken multiple photos of Titanic and Olympic between 3rd - 6th March 1912*

(*Source: "Titanic in Photographs" by Steve Hall, Daniel Klistorner, Bruce Beveridge, Art Braunschweiger & Scott Andrews)

Finally, the possible events taking place in them could be:

A) Titanic or Olympic having their Propellers added.

B) Olympic having her Propellers replaced following her collision with HMS Hawke in September 1911.

C) Olympic having her propellers replaced (again) in February 1912 following a collision with a unknown floating object which she ran over and shed a Propeller blade.

Personally in the moment, and judging by the worn paintwork to the rudder in the 2nd photo, I would guess it's C) which would also co-inside with Inglis capturing the 2 ships together in March 1912.

Sorry if this sounds confusing and is a bit repetitive, but this is just a educated guess. Congratulations on the great photos again!

mpj27

Nov 3, 2017
Martin, that's a great reply thank you. I was told that Titanic was actually never in "Dry dock" so as we can see its probably the Olympic and your option C would seem a good bet. Both photos have Titanic written on the back but as we all know that means nothing. The information about Joshua (?) Inglis is really helpful as its another avenue to explore.
I really appreciate your time in posting, thank you.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Martin, that's a great reply thank you..
Your welcome, but I could be wrong about the Photographer and whether it is Titanic or not.

I was told that Titanic was actually never in "Dry dock"
Titanic had to be in dry-dock at some point as,otherwise how would they have fitted her rudder and propellers? (Below)
c00ff3599df8e2ea899fb97ee26fa514.jpg

The only footage of Titanic also shows her being berthed into the dry-dock (Below)
(Watch between 0:00 and 1:05 . Also note the footage incorrectly states she's leaving Belfast Lough.)

110611.jpg

A

Aaron_2016

Preview quality image from alamy.com

Olympicdrydock.PNG

If this is the Titanic / Olympic in 1911 or 1912 then we can compare it with other photos of her propellers in dry dock in that period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I am now quite sure it is Olympic April 1911 in the Thompson Graving Dock, Belfast before the propellers were installed.
In orange the original light grey paint is visible in both images and in red the 3 wooden boards (can not remember how they are called) are at the same place/high.
(Great pictures by the way!)

Olybow1.jpg olybow1a.jpg

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
>>This website incorrectly states it is the Olympic at Southampton's dry dock in the early 1900's, but Southampton did not have a dry dock big enough for the Olympic<<

Olympic had been a few time in the New Trafalgar Dry Dock in Southampton. There is one impressive image of her in that dock from 1913/14.

mpj27

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the valuable info everyone, and it’s been really enlightening. I tried to find some more info on Inglis that Martin mentioned in his reply and failed.
I also tracked down some pictures of the ship after she was stuck by Hawke but that damage seemed more midships but could have led to prop damage but I haven’t checked that out.
The photos are great and were a “ Find” as they were in a box of postcards I bought and were hidden in the bottom!
Anyway it’s definitely piqued my interest which is in truth normally WW1 German warships and set me off in a new direction.
Thanks to everyone who replied and I’ll keep searching.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Thanks for the valuable info everyone, and it’s been really enlightening. I tried to find some more info on Inglis that Martin mentioned in his reply and failed.
I also tracked down some pictures of the ship after she was stuck by Hawke but that damage seemed more midships but could have led to prop damage but I haven’t checked that out.
The photos are great and were a “ Find” as they were in a box of postcards I bought and were hidden in the bottom!
Anyway it’s definitely piqued my interest which is in truth normally WW1 German warships and set me off in a new direction.
Thanks to everyone who replied and I’ll keep searching.
There's 2 photos here that shows Olympic's Starboard Propeller blade chipped and ragged that looks minor but would have led to vibrations and shutting thought the ship.

Titanic - Olympic repairs and refitting
(See photos 16 and 17)

Also, here's a photo of Olympic's lost Port Propeller blade from February 1912.
Damage to RMS Olympic Propeller Blade Feburay 1912 jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
This one is from October 1911 after the Hawke collision. The blades of the starboard prop were damaged. The shaft also got damaged and had to be replaced.

59901_152489338107107_100000381258652_330734_1227419_n.jpg

A

Aaron_2016

Anyone count how many times the Olympic had to come in for repairs to her propellers? She damaged them in September 1911, and then she lost a blade in Feb 1912, and then another blade in August 1912, and then another blade in September 1912, and then they were entirely replaced with something better. The seabed must be littered with her blades. Wonder how much they would fetch by salvagers today?

Reactions: Harland Duzen