Help Us Save Titanic

Apr 24, 2012
Hello all. I am from the Titanic-Titanic forums and we have created a petition that seeks to protect Titanic's wreck from tourists and looters by introducing new legislation in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. Each time someone signs, an email containing the petition letter is sent to President Barack Obama of the US, Taoiseach Enda Kenny of Ireland, and Prime Minster David Cameron of the UK. Please consider signing this very important petition as we seek to assist Dr. Ballard in saving the great ship from further destruction.

Environment Petition: President Barack Obama: Pass Legislation to have Titanic's Wreck Declared a Grave Site | Change.org

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Question: what is being done to ask Members of Congress, here in the United States, to introduce, and secure cosponsors for, this legislation to address this? Even bills that the President wishes to become law have to be introduced, in Congress, with the name of the Representatives and Senators listed as authors or cosponsors.

If I see such a bill in Congress, then I will lobby my Congresswoman, and my states' two Senators, saying words to the effect of "Support HR 1912, The Baber - Stephanos Protect Titanic Act", same with "Support S401, the 'Preserve the Titanic Act', introduced by Senators Tarn Stephanos and Tim Trower".
Otherwise a Petition to the White House is just another form of letter sent to Pennsylvania Avenue, and not likely to go far (just like many of the past "Secure 10,000 signatures and send this to the White House" plans stalled), especially with the Internet firewalls likely in place for the White House computers.

Apr 24, 2012
Even bills that the President wishes to become law have to be introduced, in Congress, with the name of the Representatives and Senators listed as authors or cosponsors.

You're right. I will make a note on the petition page that everyone should write to their respective senators and ask for a new bill to be introduced that President Obama can then sign into law.